Uses for carbide "teeth"

I have ten or so good teeth left in my little 3" table saw blade. But it's useless for its original purpose.

So I'm wondering, what to do with it? I can sweat off the carbide tips.

I could use one for the edge of a 1/16" wide chisel. :) Braze it onto a piece of steel shaped for the purpose... one for paring (thin and long), one for mortising (fat and hard).

What else?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Gee, I thought I was cheap!

Save the rest for replacements for those chisels.

Grind one thin for the cutter for a marking guage or a striking knife--assuming you have the diamond tools needed to do that.

Reply to
fredfighter

wondering, what to do with it?

You can braze the tips onto steel rods and make your own tools for hollow turning.

Reply to
joeljcarver

wondering, what to do with it?

Hmm, a lathe is on my wishlist... it'll be a metal lathe, though. Not that I won't be using it for small wood stuff.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

That's good... and cheap? These tips are about $3 each!

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

If one day you chip a tooth, glue a carbide in. Amaze you friends and gain their admiration when you gnaw a rough stick into a beautiful spindel.

Pete :)

Reply to
cselby

Probably not a good use for a chisel. They would most likely shatter after a few blows and would be hard to get as sharp as a regular chisel.

Reply to
Leon

Recovering the teeth from a worn-out sawblade is the cheap part.

The sort of cheapness I admire, in fact.

Reply to
fredfighter

At least the paring chisel will be okay, and with such a small cutting surface I shouldn't need so much force as to require a mallet.

And... it'll be sharper than any other 1/16" chisel I have. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Here's a story about a guy making a living working with recycled hand saw blades:

Reply to
Lobby Dosser