Used shellac for the first time - need advice

Page 3 of 4
5. "Leveling," used to remove the careless drip or overlap.

George wrote:

It's generally better to use a razor blade as a scraper to remove drips. Because of the solvent properties of shellac, properly applied, lap make shouldn't occur.
6. "Dewhiskering," used to return a spit-coated piece of wood to smooth, after the fibers carelessly left compressed rise when saturated.

George wrote:

See #2.

Bad monkey!
Thanks, Paddy. Perhaps the best product Microsoft has is the newsgroup filter in OE, which prevents DavetheTroll from polluting my newsgroup window, but seeing his spew in the context of your expert ripostes *is* rather amusing.
Does anyone know if this Dave guy has actually made anything out of wood?

He made a drawer once but forgot the bottom.
just when I thought I was running out of plonking material, up pops useless Bob! somebody tell him I plonked him as well. thanks.
and of course I've never made anything from wood! I promise to save all the wood at the lumberyard for him.
oh, I almost forgot; he'll feel bad if I leave out "Bite me, Bob!".
there; that should about cover it...
dave
Bob N wrote:

Given how much time he spends making off-topic posts is seems doubtful that his is employed or spends any time in a shop. He needs to turn off his computer and get into the shop more, or take the 12 step program offered by Usenet Posters Anonymous, or sign up for anger-management therapy. Maybe all of the above.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

My bad. Your post was nonsensical (not nonsensicle). Please kill file me so you won't answer my posts and I won't waste my time responding. It has been fascinating to watch you transform in less than a year from a newbie poster with enthusiasm and real woodworking questions to an obnoxious obsessive poster who is capable of taking almost any post OT and offending multiple people. What was fascinating has become tiresome. Have a nice life - when you get one.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

No one takes the WW stuff off topic more than the miscreants around here, of which you are one. Check out the mirror. You've been confusing me with your pathetic self. Scat.
dave
Steve James wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

I don't know what it is, but it's definitely horrible stuff. My shop stank for several days afterwards. The can of "denatured alcohol" smells exactly the same, so I take it the Bullseye stuff is made extra noxious on purpose.

I'll be coming up with something less noxious when I get around to ordering some flakes. Everclear has been banned here for quite some time. Too many stupid college students killing themselves with it. I'll have to come up with something else, and whatever it is, it damn sure won't be "methylated spirit."
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:10:48 -0500, Silvan

http://homedistiller.org/ ;-)
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

You could look for a source of anhydrous isopropanol. It is a good solvent for Shellac if you don't mind the longer drying time. It doesn't have to be denatured so you won't have the noxious odor. As organic solvents go it is pretty safe, although I would still use good ventilation and wear a respirator with charcoal cartridges if you are working with it for long.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

Steve James wrote:

Rubbing alcohol without all the water in it, basically?

How much longer?
Isopropyl will take longer to dissolve the shellac and is very hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air). It won't be anhydrous for long in a humid environment.
I am very happy with the denatured alcohol from woodfinishingsupplies.com. In addition to the very mild odor (not significantly worse than pure ethanol), the gallon I bought came in four very nice plastic quart bottles, making it easy to handle, measure & pour.
http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/shellac_a.htm
No connection other than a happy customer.
Martin
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:54:41 -0800, Martin Frankel

FWIW, the alcohols I buy from the BORGs really dosen't smell bad to me. Am I used to it, or did Silvan just get some weird, stinky stuff?

This is very common in the radio control airplane industry. Quart bottles are not subject to the same HAZMAT regulations as gallons, so many mail order joints ship gallons as (4) quarts.
It is handy for users,a nd it seems to keep some chemicals, like alcohol fresh longer.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

I might just be sensitive to it. It's not really "stinky" like a fart is stinky. It's just seriously overpowering.
Maybe it's just what you're used to. I grew up doing models with those old Testors enamels in a closed bedroom. Lots of mineral spirits, not very much alcohol. Maybe I burned out my mineral spirits smell receptors. :)
reminds me of using airplane dope. Whew! gave me a headache.
dave
Silvan wrote:

The best model paint stink / buzz to me was Floquil model railroad paint. It's a xylene / lacquer product that smells remarkably like Behlens / Mohawk pigment stains.
Barry