used parts

Page 1 of 2
I saw this on Craig's List and thought others might be interested.... might not! I've got no connection to them. John
http://www.usedtablesawparts.com/
John Grossbohlin wrote:

You can get a lot of those parts, new, for less.... without the rust.
--

-MIKE-

So.... get the parts you can easily purchase new at a better price somewhere else, right?
But for all the old, well out of production parts for Rockwell saws, planer, jointers, or DeWalt radial saw parts as well as some old Delta parts, do you think someone might find that link helpful?
Keep posting, John.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I know it's easy to infer things from simply reading text, but I'm not trying to piss on anyone's wheaties.
In my experience, especially with those Craftsman RAS, if you do enough searching you can find "new old stock" cheaper or equal to used.
I think someone might find that information helpful as well. I thought that was the purpose of these groups, to offer collective knowledge and experience to help one another make more informed decisions.
--

-MIKE-

Compare:

With:
To me, it sounded like you dismissed JG's post out of hand, with a small slap at the end with your first missive.
The second response, complete with a personal qualification seemed to me to be quite different in tone.
Hard to tell inflection from the written word.

Couldn't agree more!
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

"to me" is the operative term. Information is information. If one infers other things into a simple statement, it's not my problem. When I read a service manual, I don't criticize the author for being trite.

Again, "to me."

Which is precisely why it shouldn't be attempted.

--

-MIKE-

I will read your posts more closely. I enjoy the conversational tone of this forum, but will keep in mind that you will write only what you mean, and mean exactly what you say without equivocation. Cold, hard facts will be what I look for in your posts so that I won't be confused.

Yup, known to give people an out if they need it. Since I am not all knowing, I always want anyone reading to know that my opinions are just that.
Strange though, you used a similar tact with:
"In my experience, especially with those Craftsman RAS, "
In my experience...
To me...
Hmmm... in context of their respective original posts in this thread, I don't see much difference. You qualified (or appeared to) your opinion just as I did. Gave a little wiggle room, for what ever reason that might be in your post.

My niece is going through this situation right now in her technical writing class in Advanced Chem 2. Writing without giving any clue of an opinion, preference, or influence is a practiced procedure, no doubt.
You have explained your position in regards to posting here perfectly.
I didn't realize the nature of your postings were simply meant to shine the cold light of pure information on a subject. No more interpretations.
Got it.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe I should write some instructions on hole digging. (no need for inference)
Give it up. You got your panties in a wad because you assumed the worst and ran with it. Now you refuse to let it go.
--

-MIKE-

I did? Now you can read my mind, too?
Why do you think you are important enough to get me upset? Get over yourself.
Wait.... I am assuming you used some kind of literary device there to infer a meaning. You know I don't wear panties, right? Not on Saturday anyway, just Friday nights.
I am surprised and disappointed. I thought we were only going to see the hard unvarnished truth from you, not any kind of metaphor in your written words.
It is to laugh.
** flushing the toilet in this little piece of nonsense **
Robert

And opinions get debated on newsgroups as yours was...errr...is.
I took a quick gander at the site the OP posted, and I didn't see any egregious rust. I saw a lot of sawdust, and some light rust here and there. There was nothing on anything I saw would prevent me from buying a part from them if the price was right (after looking into the business to verify its integrity, of course).
There are two other factors that come into play. - If someone has a piece of equipment they like, and it is a known quantity, it's often easier, safer (as in you don't find out the NOS has a cracked trunion and is a POS), cheaper and quicker to replace a part than to buy a new piece of equipment and dispose of the old one. - There's satisfaction in repairing something.
RicodJour wrote:

Guess it depends on you definition of egregious, which I had to look up. :-) http://xrl.us/carriagebearings
Egregious rust? I don't know. Certainly not enough to keep me from buying them for a rebuild. But certainly enough to push me towards buying them NOS for cheaper.

I'm in 100 percent agreement with that. The Craftsman RAS I have in the shop, I bought for $50 at a community yard sale. I spent a good day and a half completely disassembling it, taking WD-40 and steel wool to every bit of surface rust, lubricating every moving part, installing the brand new table and saw guard I got free from the recall, and going through the squaring and set-up procedures in the manual.
With the great blade I put on it, it is the most accurate tool I've ever owned.
--

-MIKE-

Yow. And a drive-by to boot!
MikeWhy wrote:

Drive by?
(forgive me if it's something that went over my head) :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

An ancient wreck term, the origins of which I now forget. Kinda like a drive-by shooting, but without the violence. Effectively, you could view it as having just driven past the gang in your truck with the newly-refurbished RAS in the back (and the $50 price tag still attached), with your thumbs in your ears, your fingers waving, and your tongue stuck out. :-)
Which, by the way, warrants a big "You Suck". :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

I suspected. I would encourage anyone with a little time on his hands to keep his eye on craigslist and the flea markets.
That Emerson recall replaces just about every significant part of the saw, short of the motor. If I can find any more, I'll rehab and sell them. The first one always takes the longest, as we all know.
Oh yeah, neener neener! :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

All right Mike, confound it! Immediately after this discussion (on Saturday afternoon) I went directly to CraigsList and found a good one-owner mid-eighties 10" Craftsman RAS for $100, picked it up on Sunday morning, and now I've got saw parts scattered all around the shop! I have my recall parts on order (no confirmation yet though; how long did that take?) and I figure I'd best not reassemble anything until that stuff arrives since I don't want to install anything that's just going to get replaced. I'm also going to rewire it for 220 since I have several available circuits and the extra power should make it purr real nice.
I've been wanting to replace my POS Delta compound miter saw for a LONG time now, but every time I go look at new sliding miter saws the prices just piss me off. In spite of what people tend to say about them I think radial arm saws are incredibly useful; my Dad has a 12" Craftsman that he bought in the early seventies, and I've logged many hours on that machine, so I've just been looking for an excuse to get one of those instead of a compound miter.
Now I'm having to explain to my wife why this "thing" has caused me to stop work on all her little pet projects, so if you'll just kindly email me your phone number I'll let her know who's to blame. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Well, congratulations! I just wonder why you paid so much. :-p
My, big, heavy boxes arrived in about three days. I was surprised. Somewhere I found and downloaded a more detailed manual... maybe the service manual. If I have it, I'll email it.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Meh - fifty bucks, a hundred bucks; what's the difference? :-)

Wow, awesome. Did you receive any kind of confirmation first, either by email or status update on their web page? The website shows my initial order, but it hasn't been updated.

Do you mean one of these?
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/installation.asp
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

No, just a pissed off UPS driving, walking away grumbling and rubbing his shoulder. :-)

Similar, but with more detailed adjustment procedures.
--

-MIKE-

I don't get it. It looks like just a new guard. What's the excitement?