used motor oil becomes toxic waste

Page 2 of 2

The orfices on mine are screw-in brass type; they could'nt be too expensive as a replacement part...
--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
snipped-for-privacy@fredking.us
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:57:37 -0400, Terry King wrote:

Mine too, but I'll be damned if I can find anyplace to buy them. They aren't listed in the available parts on the BBQ makers web site.
-Doug
Check with a local HVAC dealer.We used to do conversions all the time.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:21:04 -0100, William E. Prisavage wrote:

Thanks, will do. Are they the same as used in NG furnaces, water heaters, etc?
-Doug
Call your local propane supplier. They are more than happy to help you convert.
MH

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:05:30 -0700, MSH wrote:

BTDT, and they didn't seem interested as the conversion to natural gas would end my propane usage. OTOH, Southwest Gas said they would do the conversion for free if I could find the conversion kit. That's the tough part, but I'm going to try another poster's suggestion of going to an HVAC contractor.
-Doug

There was a lot of noise about this a few years back when the conversion happened. I think the newer containers are identified by a triangular shaped valve handle. Anyway, the Borg was offering a swap for $5 or something like that at the time. You might want to check with them to see if they still do. I think that "blue rhino" tank-swap deal they do out front will also take your old tank, but of course you can't escape some kind of fee.
--Neil
FWIW - Ran into the same problem a couple of years ago, when we got the new grill. [the old one was about 10+ years old and *really* tired]. I had a couple of cylinders that were in great condition {because I kept them cleaned & repainted}, but couldn't use them.
One I 'swapped with for a 'Blue Rhino' at a local Lowe's because they had a 'sale' where it was less than having a 'tank' filled locally. [THAT gave me TWO cylinders] Recently I 'exchanged' the other 'old style' one at a local HD . . . NO 'extra charge' . . . just the regular cost of an 'empty-for-full' tank swap.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {PS - when I bought the 'new' grill I originally got a 'converter' - $5.oo in a 'blister pac' . . . never used it and still have it around somewhere, I think}

On 23 Jul 2003 20:19:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (The old Millrat) wrote:

Call the city to find out who will take used oil. I use an empty plastic milk jug and there are four stations in my small town who take the oil. I patronize these stations and buy gasoline there, yet they sell the used oil to be recycled and refined. That counter guy you encountered is an idiot.
Phisherman spaketh...

The truth is that it's probably the company he works for that made the stupid rule and the unfortunate truth is that stupid rules are made to protect themselves from stupid people who would otherwise try to take advantage.
Now I don't see any reason for it, but stupid or not, someone had a reason, or maybe not, what do I know.
--
McQualude

Or put your zip code in the recycle search link at this address: http://home.comcast.net/~weeksreavley/energy/search.html and click on the used motor oil recycling link
Here in Tennessee we pay a special tax on each quart of oil sold, specifically for the recycling. What they should do is reimburse customers to return the oil, but instead some people pour it into the street or creek. California is very conservative when it comes to environment issues, and that's really a good thing.

Kinda like the old deposit on Coke bottles? Not a bad idea.
Jums

One of the great ideas I've seen in CA are storm drains labeled with a destination for the run-off. The drain itself is labeled "Monterey Bay", etc... right on the curb over the drain.
I have neighbors that insist on draining lawn mower oil, gasoline, etc... right into the storm sewer! Our drains are less than 1/2 mile from the CT river.
Labelling the drain eliminates the "it just goes away" mentality.
Barry
On 25 Jul 2003 06:31:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

I know.
The labeled drains would help drive home WHY dumping stuff down the storm drain is illegal. I've been getting Scout troops involved in labeling drains as an environmental project.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

It's not a bad idea at all. How are you labelling them?
Friends of mine work and live in a large community house where they help troubled teens. They have an old oil-fired furnace and enough people (including small industry types) willing to give them used oil that they never pay to heat the place.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro
The old Millrat wrote:

If you read the California laws concerning used oil recycling you'll find:
1. If an outlet sells oil they have to accept the old oil. 2. The container only has to be clean. 3. The oil must be free of contaminates other than those considered normal. 4. If you return the oil to a state "approved" oil recycling center, if requested, they have to pay you for the used oil at the state mandated rate.
See: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q lifornia+oil+recycling+laws
If you wanted to pursue the issue it looks like you could have the store's hand slapped by the state for violations.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Kicker is, they just "upgraded" the lp containers about ten years ago. This is great for the LP people.
MH

Sat, Jul 26, 2003, 10:59am (EDT+4) Keep it in the snipped-for-privacy@please.thankyou (BarryBurkeJr.) says: No matter how pissed I was at some anonymous counter guy, is it really worth getting arrested and fined over? This is exactly what would happen to a person who dumps used motor oil in a trash can <snip>
Hmm, he might have meant dump the clerk in the trash can, not the oil.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html