used motor oil becomes toxic waste

old chevy pickups, fords, etc. with a max humidity of 20%, nothing rusts. you can find metal cans that have been sitting out in the desert for 50 years that are still in pretty good condition. there's an early 70's volvo in my office parking lot with rusted lower panels that's been parking there for at least 15 years, but it's still got montana license plates. it hasn't rusted any further, but the paint has faded a few shades.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

1970's vw bugs in perfect condition being used daily, that haven't been restored.

Ah, but you have to make an exception for VW Bugs - the real Bugs, not these new ones they call Bugs. You see a number of them around here too, mostly unrestored, daily drivers.

JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year.

- Lady Myria LeJean.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Charlie Spitzer

Bob G. spaketh...

retired?

Reply to
McQualude

Phisherman spaketh...

The truth is that it's probably the company he works for that made the stupid rule and the unfortunate truth is that stupid rules are made to protect themselves from stupid people who would otherwise try to take advantage.

Now I don't see any reason for it, but stupid or not, someone had a reason, or maybe not, what do I know.

Reply to
McQualude

I guess that's factored in. My take is that they mainly want to avoid highly flammable chemicals in the oil. One of the big no-no's is carb cleaner.

In my area, you bring in your oil, dump it yourself into a 250-500 gal recycling container, and take your smaller containers with you.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

One of the great ideas I've seen in CA are storm drains labeled with a destination for the run-off. The drain itself is labeled "Monterey Bay", etc... right on the curb over the drain.

I have neighbors that insist on draining lawn mower oil, gasoline, etc... right into the storm sewer! Our drains are less than 1/2 mile from the CT river.

Labelling the drain eliminates the "it just goes away" mentality.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
William E. Prisavage

Thanks, will do. Are they the same as used in NG furnaces, water heaters, etc?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I know.

The labeled drains would help drive home WHY dumping stuff down the storm drain is illegal. I've been getting Scout troops involved in labeling drains as an environmental project.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Kicker is, they just "upgraded" the lp containers about ten years ago. This is great for the LP people.

Reply to
MSH

Call your local propane supplier. They are more than happy to help you convert.

Reply to
MSH

Yeah, cars that ugly never die.

Reply to
Silvan

It's not a bad idea at all. How are you labelling them?

Reply to
Silvan

BTDT, and they didn't seem interested as the conversion to natural gas would end my propane usage. OTOH, Southwest Gas said they would do the conversion for free if I could find the conversion kit. That's the tough part, but I'm going to try another poster's suggestion of going to an HVAC contractor.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

There was a lot of noise about this a few years back when the conversion happened. I think the newer containers are identified by a triangular shaped valve handle. Anyway, the Borg was offering a swap for $5 or something like that at the time. You might want to check with them to see if they still do. I think that "blue rhino" tank-swap deal they do out front will also take your old tank, but of course you can't escape some kind of fee.

--Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Sat, Jul 26, 2003, 10:59am (EDT+4) Keep it in the snipped-for-privacy@please.thankyou (B=A0a=A0r=A0r=A0y=A0B=A0u=A0r=A0k=A0e=A0J=A0r=A0.) says: No matter how pissed I was at some anonymous counter guy, is it really worth getting arrested and fined over? This is exactly what would happen to a person who dumps used motor oil in a trash can

Hmm, he might have meant dump the clerk in the trash can, not the oil.

JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year.

- Lady Myria LeJean.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Or put your zip code in the recycle search link at this address:

click on the used motor oil recycling link

Reply to
Paul

Friends of mine work and live in a large community house where they help troubled teens. They have an old oil-fired furnace and enough people (including small industry types) willing to give them used oil that they never pay to heat the place.

Reply to
Don Mackie

FWIW - Ran into the same problem a couple of years ago, when we got the new grill. [the old one was about 10+ years old and *really* tired]. I had a couple of cylinders that were in great condition {because I kept them cleaned & repainted}, but couldn't use them.

One I 'swapped with for a 'Blue Rhino' at a local Lowe's because they had a 'sale' where it was less than having a 'tank' filled locally. [THAT gave me TWO cylinders] Recently I 'exchanged' the other 'old style' one at a local HD . . . NO 'extra charge' . . . just the regular cost of an 'empty-for-full' tank swap.

Regards & Good Luck, R> >

Reply to
Ron Magen

Any chlorinated hydrocarbon is a big problem for the recycler.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Feh. I looked up "ugly" in a dictionary, and right next to a picture of SWMBO was a wood cutting of the original Beetle.

Reply to
Silvan