Used Lumber

I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house -- but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would people pay for it?

Thanks,

Pious

BTW, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

Reply to
Pious Audio

See if there's a craigslist for your area. See if a Habitat for Humanity location could use it. Find a forsale newsgroup.

People always want free crap/stuff.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Thu, Jun 15, 2006, 9:29am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Pious=A0Audio) doth sayeth: I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --

If it's treated wood, do not use it in the house, or any projects peoples or pets will come into contact with it.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Check out this group

have boards in most city's- also is the stuff "treated", there are discusions on disposal of it and the problems that go along with it. Some cities won't take it.

Personally I would run a metal detector over any used lumber before any tooling. Easy to mis snaped nails/screws.

Storage -stack it on old pallets to keep off ground and stick the layers so air can move around it cover with tarp but keep the ends open for air.

just some ideas

Pious Audio wrote:

Reply to
Tvfarmer

Not exactly the kind of recycled lumber I'd personally want. If you want to use it, then get a metal detector to find all the fasteners. Personally, I'd try to give the lumber away.

Reply to
Phisherman

I keep lots of reclaimed framing stuff. If you've got the room, get it up off the ground with some 4x4s, stack them flat and cover with a tarp. Or the shed, somewhere you have some room and it won't irritate the neighbors. It won't fall apart in a year or two, and the stuff costs money to buy new when you need it- sometimes a lot of money, depending on the project.

As far as sticking a sign in the yard goes- if I saw it, I'd come take it. I regularly put bags of shavings from my lathe on the curb with a "free mulch" sign that tells the species of wood inside on it, and they're always gone within an hour or two.

But that's for free. I don't know if anyone would pay you for it unless it's in pretty good shape, though it couldn't hurt to try.

Reply to
Prometheus

See my response in the alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking group.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband