Used equipment, what to look for

x-no-archive:yes
An ad I just read had ll kinds of used equipment. The two I was interested in was a 240 volt saw and a jointer. The jointer was 200 and the saw was 250. What should I look for? I have a table saw but it is a 99 dollar delta table top from Lowes. So I would like to have both but dont know if I can afford it.
x-no-archive:yes
There was also a scroll saw and mortise machine 50 bucks each. stryped wrote:

stryped wrote:

I would think the best course of action is to say on here what the items are, and models?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

3 phase or single phase 240?
stryped wrote:

1. Cast iron construction rather than sheet metal. Cast iron is rigid and doesn't bend out of shape. 2. Rust, lack of. 3. Brand name. Delta, DeWalt, and others 4. The owner has been running it, recently. 5. An owners manual. 6. Moving parts move smoothly and rigid parts (e.g. arm of radial arm saw) are rigid. 7. Accessories and a floor stand/mount. 8. A google on the maker's name and model number gives a hit.
Bad things: 1. Missing parts. 2. rusted solid. 3. Too heavy to move and/or get thru the door.
A "240 volt saw and a jointer" might describe a heavy duty table saw with a jointer on the same bench, driven off the same motor. Ordinary power tools run off 120 volts, heavier duty models run on 220-240 volts like a stove or a dryer. For a good condition, right brand name, not too old, and the right model, a table saw for $250 and a jointer for $200 might be a deal. For a bad condition, no-name, made in Taiwan, very small, stamped sheet metal tool, $250/$200 is NOT a deal.
David Starr
stryped wrote:

You're going to have to be more specific as to what the specific saw and jointer are.
Also, the other poster had a good warning about making sure it was NOT 3 phase.
Check out the Dec/Jan 2005/2006 issue of Wood magazine, page 44. It's a complete article about buying used woodworking equipment. Table saw, band saw, jointer, etc.
Thunder