Used Delta 15" Planer

Hi All, I haven't seen this planer, but I've emailed the seller for more pics. Comments welcome, as to anything I should inspect closely, if I go check it out. Think this price is reasonable? http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/1053286282.html Thanks. Sonny

Price seems reasonable, if it's in the condition the seller claims. Run a few boards through it -- the more highly figured the better -- and check for tearout and snipe.

Yeah I would not recommend watching for tear out or snipe. If the blades are not sharp there will be excess tear out. Snipe is IMHO not a reason to turn away from a planer. Snipe can be prevented with technique if it is a problem and typically is an inherent trait to most all planers especially the older desigh and large ones. The Delta planer has 2 rollers that the wood rides on under the cutter head. Because the wood rides up over the table surface on 1 roller and eventually the next, snipe is pretty much a guarantee to some degree. These particular planers are adjustable in many areas so if something is in excess a problem, it can typically be adjusted.

Looks like a Delta DC-380, 15" planer. If it is, that's a great price. I have one. Definitely get it if it looks good and works well.
It also looks very similar to the older DC-33 which is a 13" planer. Still heavy duty, but that can be a big 2" and I don't know if it would be worth it. If it looks good and works well, probably go for it.
Either is a big step up from a lunchbox.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite