Use your scrap HW flooring for table tops

Page 2 of 2

On 9/11/2010 1:10 PM, Morgans wrote:

For anyone who doesn't:
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

J. Clarke wrote:

As long as I'm here among experts, anyone know who really wrote that?
Bill
Bill wrote:

If you enjoy the skit, you might enjoy reading this!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_on_First%3F
Bill

publications, IMHO one of the best comics out there.
--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:
That is my name if I'm tellin' the truth. Though there are imposters... : )
I'm just trying to preserve some privacy to protect myself against evil-doers. That, and if I post too much personal information my mom might not let me use the computer anymore.
Bill
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Yep. I did the same except I covered the Formica countertops in the kitchen!
Looks like butcher-block.

How did you finish it?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I didn't. It came that way from the manufacturer. It was laminate flooring.
I figured if it was designed to handle tracked-in dirt, golf shoes, sliding furniture, dog claws, and the like, it could handle an occassional knife-slip! Anyway, it's been installed about a year now and still looks perfect.
The only thing that might bother some person (not me)* is some double-nasty fungus or bacteria hiding in a crack which, during subsequent food preparation, may end up poisoning the entire neighborhood and suburbs beyond.
Wiping the surface with bleach should take care of that contingency.
--
* My current squeeze said last night: "Here, taste this." I put a dab on my
finger and licked it. "Tastes like paint thinner" I said. I immediately

I've got some left over laminate I'll have to try some bleach on.

You like to take risks right? <bg> (the point makes a lot of sense, laminate won't absorb much, but the cracks could.)
What I'd consider doing was to just seal the cracks instead. I think that might be a better solution than bleach... (Oh, crap, a bad pun!)

Shows the value of the first furnature purchase with the (new) GF... A new, comfy couch!
...[shnip]...

For me, neighborcide is rarely a deal breaker, and that's even though I like them all.
A thought formed in me 'ead about the cracks thing. If you're talking about the microbeveling between them, did you consider just filling it all in with poly and calling it a day?

That must look awesome. I'm betting no, but did you use the kind with the micro-bevel on it---I've seen some that had that that weren't the usually engineered kind. That might make a very interesting top for something that large.

Be careful if you use the prefinished flooring as some of it contains aluminum oxide particles for wear resistance. Great for floors but hell on tools. Carbide tooling is a must when working with it as my ruined set of HSS planer knives will attest to. Art

The alumina is part of a normal polymer finish; a bit of work with a heat gun or torch and scraper will remove it.

1st law of the workshop.
After the clicker test for hidden fasteners, all "foreign" stock goes thru the drum sander first.
Lew

You'll know it has an aluminum oxide finish when it throws sparks on the chop saw. VERY hard stuff, dulls even carbide. Expect to burn up one carbide blade per floor installation.
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I had a dear friend (who passed away last week) who had a flooring and cabinet business. He would call me now and again to come pick up some cutoffs and extras. He gave me lots of Ipe, cocobolo, qs oak, and other wonderful stuff. Plus a bunch of oak flooring which I used to do the flooring in our mountain home. Table tops my ass. Oops that should read "my a$$". Sorry.     mahalo,     jo4hn

When you did the flooring, how long were the cutoffs? Usually they're not very long. You'd have a lot of transverse seams with the lengths I've seen (24" or less).
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

And the price was right.
The cutoffs varied between 1' and 4' of various widths. Great for cutting boards, boxes, etc. He was a good man and the world needs more Merrill Bolsters, not less. Sigh.