Use for THICK walnut

I have access to a pile of Walnut that's been sitting in a garage for some 15 years. The smallest piece is a full 4/4" thick, 11" wide, and about 6' long. The largest piece is 16/4" thick, almost 12" wide, and 12' long. The remaining pile, in addition to some more 16/14" stock, is made up of 12/4", 8/4", and some 6/4".
My question to the collective is, Is there a market for walnut that thick? I don't have use for anything that thick, and I'd hate to cut it up for no good reason. If there is a market for this stuff, how much is it worth, and who do I need to get in touch with to arrange a sale. From the research I've done, I should be looking at a street price of about $8-10 bd/ft for the 12/4", and about $5 bd/ft for 4/4" stock.
I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area ...
Thanks, Tim
I don't know about wood prices in your area, but, here in CT a non dealer won't get much more than $1 to $2 per bd/ft. I just missed some dry cherry for $0.83 per bd/ft.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

The
12/4",
research
Perhaps you could send me a 6' sample? I haven't tried out my new smoother on walnut yet...
dave
Tim Schubach wrote:

It's absolutely worthless, but I'll be glad to pay the shipping to get it off your hands.
Walnut is pretty high around here ... $4 - 7/bf. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to cut/resaw and use it. Sounds like good stock for table legs.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

The
12/4",
research
All I have seen it use din that thickness is for a mantle. But it did look nice.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:11:19 GMT, "Tim Schubach"

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:11:19 GMT, "Tim Schubach"

Maybe $5 a BF.
Hi Tim,
You're right in not cutting it down since larger dimensions command a premium.
Thick timber is always in demand by turners and carvers. You might try offering it on rec.crafts.woodturning. Remember to preface your subject line with "FS".
I don't know how much walnut costs in the US. You might try www.craft-supplies.co.uk. Put "walnut" into the search engine and it'll come up with both american and african walnut blank prices. The sizes are metric and the prices in GBP, so you'll have to do the sums to come up with dollars/bf. Then figure that we in the UK pay for tools, hardware, consumer durables etc about the same number of pounds as you would pay dollars. I've a feeling though that your timber is even cheaper than that, so that rough guesstimate would give you a highish figure.
The fact that the timber has been air-dried for that length of time would add value. Any splits, shakes, knots or other such defect would lessen value.
Cheers
Frank

The
12/4",
research
Frank McVey writes:

He can save the conversion hassle, go to places like Advantage Lumber ($4.00 a bf for 6/4, thickest the state on-line, he can then e-mail the company to get prices on other sizes--not just advantage, but almost any lumber dealer carrying walnut).
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
Tim Schubach wrote:

thick table tops, table legs, mantles, turning...
--
Chris Merrill

The
12/4",
research
Someone who makes guns might be interested for making rifle stocks.