Use a compressor motor to power 10" table saw?

Hi, I've got a good deal on a 3 hp (220v) electric compressor motor. (runs counterclockwise) Can i use it to upgrade my 1.5hp tablesaw motor (110v). Any problems? how do you determine the direction of rotation? facing the shaft...or looking from the body of the motor towards the shaft? Thanks

a 45 on a large panel when the panel slammed into the motor. Since it was physically bigger, it stuck up above the table surface when the blade was tilted. Needless to say, it ruined my day. I am glad for the 2hp motor, but wish I had noticed the problem before damaging the panel. Presumably your 3hp is bigger still; make sure it will actually fit.
The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a compressor motor is.

TEC?

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

I was thinking TEFC but anyway a TEC motor is not required on a TS. I think every other one that I have seen is not, although it is a better idea to have one that is encloded.

TEFC is typically the way this is designated--Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. Which Delta motors are you referring to? All the Delta induction motors I've seen were TEFC... course I've never seen everything that Delta offers!
John

The one on the back of my contractors model saw. Small vents, but still not closed.

The motors on Delta's contractor saws are open, not TEFC. I don't know when or if they changed, but my 5 year old contractors saws motor is definitely open. I don't remember the model number of the saw, but it is the top of the line contractors saw, not a discount store model, the one that sells for $900 now. Greg
Somebody asks:

Forget trying to operate a 3HP motor on a 120VAC power source.
You can't get there from here.
Lew