URGENT PRICING INFO NEEDED ON YELLOW POPLAR

I have the opportunity to buy a load of yellow poplar in anywhere from 2 to 10 ft lengths approx. 6 to 8" wide. How can I figure out what this might be worth? Each load would be average of 800-100 lbs each? How would be the best way to figure out its value? Thank you!
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:09:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

What grades are in the load? Is it green or dried?
<http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/pdfs/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf hasdetailed specs.
Here in CT, FAS grade poplar goes for about $2.10 a bd/ft. Lower grades are much cheaper.
Barry
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:09:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSLumberBuyingGuide.html
Fri, Aug 29, 2003, 9:09am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wants to know: I have the opportunity to buy a load of yellow poplar in anywhere from 2 to 10 ft lengths approx. 6 to 8" wide. How can I figure out what this might be worth? Each load would be average of 800-100 lbs each? How would be the best way to figure out its value?
Somehow it just never fails to amaze me that people will ask such vague questions, and expect a usable answer.
You left out details. Like where you are. I'm sure prices will vary, depending on your location. Hell, they'll probably vary from seller to seller. Then there's always things like: How thick is it? Is it fresh cut? Air dried? For how long? Kiln dried? Did the seller cut it, or buy it from someone else? And so on. If half of it is only good for firewood or whittling, that drops the value. And, last I knew wood was sold by board feet, not by weight.
Last, but not least, the wood is worth only as much as you're willing to pay for it. Check your local prices, look at the wood, then make an offer. He'd probably be willing to drop the price a bit for cash, over a check.
JOAT If we're all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 30 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
myxpykalix asks:

Whole lot depends on area, quality, green, dry, surfacing, etc. I can buy all the YP I want for about half a buck a board foot, on a good day, 65 cents on a bad day. It's green and rough, log run, which means that it's probably 1/3 fire wood (and poplar is LOUSY firewood). The rest is usable in one form or another, but only about a third will be top grade lumber.
Charlie Self
"He hasn't an enemy in the world - but all his friends hate him." Eddie Cantor
Yup makes lousy fire wood. Talk about money going up in flames..... family used to burn some. Smokiest winter we ever had.
--
Young Carpenter