Urea Formaldehyde Glue Discouse

So... the discourse on glues has become quite intriguing to me. Karl's comments introduced me to things/techniques that I had no knowledge of, and damn... whenever that kind of thing happens...

So - how about a little dialog about what people use, and how they use it. Here's some questions that are popping into my mind as I investigate this stuff...

1 - what are the factors that will determine if you use PVA or Urea Resin glue? I understand the stress part, but are there other considerations that help you make that decision?

2- what do people use... powder with water mix, or powder with catalyst? Reasons? Comments?

3 - how do people apply the stuff - brush, roller, whatever?

4 - any other comments and/or interesting things for people to know.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you have a complicated glue up and need an longer than average set time go with the UR..

Typically just water assuming this question is pointed to the UR glue. A catalyst would sorta defeat the advantage of the long set time that this glue offers.

I always used a brush, one you would throw away. A roller for a large surface.

Reply to
Leon

Dunno if its of any use, but the bloke at woodgears.ca has a few videos on glue pro's & con's and different glues in certain joints, etc. worth a watch for his Heath Robinson force-measuring contraption if nothing else!

Reply to
pastedavid

I've only used it for bent lamination. Has better open time and sets hard which hold the lams in shape better.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Urea that is.

Reply to