Upset with Porter Cable/Delta !!

That's sad, in so many ways.
--
Regards,
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I don't think it's "mechanical quality" so much as engineering, as a science, has advanced sufficiently to produce more "consistent crap".
Used to be that each individual sports car had mechanical characteristics/quirks all it's own, and that was part of the fun of owning one.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman said:

From the lips of an experienced 50's/60's era English car owner?
I shiver with a curious mix of nostalgia and pain when I think of some of the cars I used to drive and service - but there remains one unfailing truism - they definitely had character.
Had a customer who owned a really old MG with actual threaded knock-offs and wire wheels. He ran it into a ditch and had to replace the right spindle - only problem was, he could only find a left spindle in the local scrap-yards. (It must have been a common problem back then - running into ditches and such...)
The car spent the remainder of it's life in one ditch after another as the wheel repeatedly fell off. He didn't have the sense to safety wire the knock-off into in place, and couldn't/wouldn't pay to have it fixed right.
Now THAT's a Character...
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote in message

Not exactly, but the next best thing ... I had that rare uncle, a bachelor college professor (sort of a Hugh Hefner about town), who would give his 16 year old nephew a pint of whisky and the keys to his current sports cars to take on a date ... included a couple of different Alfa Romeo's, more than a few MG's, and at least one Mercedes rally car (300SL?) ... we loved each and everyone, jointly.
And I was often his "advisor" when he went sports car shopping trips ... then he had to go ruin it all by getting married (and all this time he'd been instructing me in the philosophy of not buying the cow when the milk was free)
.. Can you imagine getting away with that today?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman wrote:

What? Buying the cow?
For an interesting couple of shots of old sports check the MG TC on my web site, and the 1934 Jaguar SS1.
Just read a babbling book that said the SS100s were the first Jaguars, in 1936. Well, I didn't exactly read it. Paged through to points of interest. When I catch a writer telling me that Plymouth had such and such power, and in the very next sentence, no para break, he babbles on about Pontiac, I know he got his notes confused, his mind in a whirl, and didn't do the work of rereading and rewriting. And nobody proofread the blinking thing. I thought lack of proofreading was a trendy, today sort of thing, but this book was out in '78 or so, and I caught an earlier one by the same guy doing the same stuff. Expensive books in their day, too.

You're definately right about proofreading in modern publications. Editors today figure all that's needed is to run it thru the spell-checker, click on "accept changes" a couple of times, and it's perfect. Meanwhile the text is actually a morass of homonyms, lacunae, and mangled grammar. It sucks.
John
"John McCoy" wrote in message

Owed To A Spell Checker
I have a spelling checker It came with my PC It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot sea Eye ran this poem threw it You should be glad two no It's very polished in it's weigh My checker tolled me sew A checker is a bless sing It freeze yew lodes of thyme It helps me right all stiles of verse And aides me when aye rime To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be prowed And wee mussed dew the best wee can Miss stakes are knot aloud And now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate care There are know flaws within my site Of nun eye am a wear Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed to be a joule The checker pours o'er every word To cheque some spelling rule That's why aye brake in two averse My righting wants too pleas Sow now eye sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear for pea seas
Anonymous.

Definitely. Though I keep the grammar check on in Word.

Wire wheels was what made them a "sports car" to my insurer. With solids, the MGA, even the DOHC, was an "economy" car. Guess which kind I had - according to his paperwork.
The 120 Jag I rebuilt afterward had knockoffs too. Seems there were holes for safety wires, though my memory is starting to fade.

Having seen all of the British autos I ever care to, I would say that it wouldn't have taken much to improve a British auto's mechanical quality.

Mike Berger wrote:

SFWIW, when FoMoCo bought Jag, it took 35 mqn hours to assemble one vs less than 1 hour for most FoMoCo units.
Reducing direct labor and getting rid of the "Prince of Darkness" electrical system were great starts to improve the reliability of the Jag.
Personally, I wouldn't have one.
Nothing personal, just not my type of vehicle.
Lew
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:15:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew

Hell no. It wouldn't pull a sloop, but might handle a SunFish.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:27:27 -0700, Mark & Juanita

But at least the Brits designed cars so they went round corners, 50 years later it's something the Yanks still have considerable difficulty with.

The odds are against that. B&D is a big company, run by Harvard MBAs who've been taught all about business, but have little clue about whatever product they make. Sooner or later, one of them will have the inspiration to "improve margins" by "cost engineering" the product, and the quality will decline.

A difficult example. Today's Volvo is better than the 1990's Volvo, before Ford bought them. But in the 1990's, Volvo was in a financial crunch, and couldn't afford to invest in design & production at a competitive level, so the 1990's Volvos (the 700 and 850 series) were pretty much crap. The 1980's Volvos (the 240 series) were substantially better built cars.
John
evodawg wrote:

IIRC, Black & Decker has owned DeWalt since 1960. DeWalt still has some decent tools.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
evodawg wrote:

I've considered Delta to be a brand I buy only when there's no good alternative. I love my Unisaw of a few years ago, and my DP is ok, but their bandsaws suck big time in my opinion, and I've had lousy luck with their technical assistance. I'm not too crazy with my 2 Delta belt sanders. I bought them more for the price than quality. All my Porter Cable stuff has been rock solid with the exception of a few times where my 7518 would run at random speeds when set to the lowest RPM setting.
So I don't know why you are upset because of B&D's involvement. Can Delta really get much worse? :) Porter Cable brand is the one I'd worry about...
Dave
I have 2 older delta 14" bandsaws that are very good. Can't speak for the newer ones. Having a Hi/Low transmission in great if you do metal work. I have a VERY old delta drill press with an extra bearing over the spindle pulley that is a tank compared to the stuff sold now.

wayne mak wrote:

HP) motor model was nicer. It lacked a few features of the later model, but at least the earlier model ran more quietly and smoothly. I had both models for a brief time. The 1 HP model (the model before they upped the HP to 1.5) was pretty decent. I wouldn't have kept the 1.5 version in my shop if it were free. Seriously.
dave

Umm the quality of PC and Delta started down that slippery slope long before B&D bought them.

Would certainly agree with that. Bought a PC cordless drill in 1999 (Pentair era). Nice drill, but at about 1 to 1 1/2 years old, I wound up shaking plastic parts out of it (not really sure what they were a part of, I think they were part of a guide for the forward/reverse switch). This was for a drill that had never been dropped nor abused in any way. That was the reason I decided not to replace the batteries when they went, but bought a Milwaukee to replace it. The difference in quality between the two drills is staggering and apparent. It's just so obvious which one was "value-engineered" and which one was engineered for value.