Upset with Porter Cable/Delta !!

Page 1 of 3

I went to my local Porter Cable/Delta parts and recondition outlet in Southern California and the name has been changed to Black & Decker. I was PISSED!!!!!!!! I was looking for a reconditioned circular saw, my old 25 year old Craftsman finally took a shit and I needed to replace it. For the last 10 years I have only bought Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch and Delta. I went in and all I saw basically was orange and black, I got sick to my stomach. I asked the customer service guy what happened. He didn't look happy and said that B&D had taken them over. My next question was how long will it take B&D to implement it's cheap ass engineering into Porter Cable and Delta? He had that stupid look on his face. I told him, "guess you're forcing me to buy Milwaukee and Bosch". He did say that I wasn't the only customer that had the same reaction.
The worst power tool builder now makes one of the best power tools. How long will it take for Delta/Porter Cable to become second to the worst?
I'm so pissed off Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Gee, the big switch took place over a year ago. Where have you been? Jim
Jim wrote:

Well lets see, guess when you only buy great tools you aren't buying them every week and I don't spend my spare time shooting the shit on newsgroups and in retail stores, I'm to busy with my remodel business.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

ooooookay, so go back to work and don't bother us by shooting the shit here.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Well at least I put my tools to work, instead you two talk about them and I'm sure all they do for you is collect DUST. PINHEADS
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Yep, I don't want to wear them out
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

evodawg wrote:

ok...so go back to work and stop wasting time here! I'm so happy for you and your remodel business.
Dave

You will buy more tools in a week than I do in a year (even if you don't buy any). Go back to your remodel business and stay there. Jim
I would jump to the conclusion that just because B&D owns PC, that PC qulaity will go down. It might even go up if they get more R&D funding....
Examples: Ford bought Volvo and as far as I know, Volvo hasn't become worse. GM has bought many foreighn auto makers and the purchased auto makers seem to have not changed much.
Am I wrong?
evodawg wrote:

Never Enough Money wrote:

Hmmmmm, what are you saying about Ford? I would not compare Ford to Black and Decker. Besides I drive a Ford F-250 and have 4 more F-350 Flatbeds. I'm kinda partial to Ford and Porter Cable. :P
Don't know much about Volvo except that it's a safe car.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

B&D bought Elu and renamed it deWalt. Don't remember the quality there going anywhere other than DOWN....
VL wrote:

Really? Not all DW tools were Elu, which, in the states, was a rebadging for most tools at first. The B&D Professional line turned yellow and black, as did two Elu tools, a router and a slide compound miter saw. No change of color on the saw, for which B&D can be grateful, because the one I had was a POS from an operational standpoint, as was the Elu biscuit joiner.
I don't know what happened to Elu in Europe, from whence it originally came, but from the ads I see for most European power tools, if quality went down after B&D bought them, it had plenty of company in the other companies putting tools on the market. With some exceptionally expensive exceptions--think Mafell--European tools appear to me to be underdesigned and overgimmicked, with very high prices.

Dewalt has been around since 1922. Started in Leola, Pennsylvania and later moved to Lancaster Pennsylvania. Originally call Dewalt Products they changed there name to Dewalt Inc in 1947 The original radial arm saw was named the Wonder worker.
ELU was a Swiss company purchased in 1980 by B&D.

Delta/Rockwell/Delta bought out a number of brands on the way up, too.
Remember when there were thirty or so snowmobile brands?

Probably closer to 100 different brands in the early 70's. I still have a magazine around here somewhere that lightly covers each brand from the era. Just about anyone with some manufacturing ability was building sleds. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Let's not forget that Ford owns Jaguar, today, too. But with snowmobiles back in the '70s, I recall doing an article for, I believe, Camping Journal, as a round-up. It was an impossibility, so I ended up calling about 18 of the top sellers and covering their machines, while adding in two or three that had novel features.
Haven't even thought about sleds in more than two decades. Snowfall in south central VA doesn't add up to that kind of outdoor play, but I can recall in Albany, NY in the late '60s where snow got so severe they had to use snowmobiles (borrowed) for emergency vehicles...ambulances and what not. Had to be a rough, cold ride for the patients.

We've got a patient-hauling-trailer for snowmobile incidents. For the record, it's also damn cold being the EMT holding c-spine traction while the wind blows up the back of your jacket for the duration of the snowmobile segment of the transport. DAMHIKT.

What I like is the way they pay attention to the trail markers as they blast through. You take the recovery sled in for six miles before you find them. A quarter mile from another road. Of course, at the speeds they travel, the color - trail number code - rather than the mileage is about all they _might_ catch. Digital cell phones are a help, as long as they're not in a swale.
It was nine winters before I recovered my first _sober_ snowmobiler. Says a lot.
Jaguar's mechanical quality has gone up since Ford bought 'em.
Never Enough Money wrote:

Yeah, I have not heard of any Jaguar owners having to put a Chevy V8 in to make the car run any more. :~)