UPS does it again (or fails to do it)

Page 3 of 3
George wrote:

It should be. OTOH if the employee knows that management has already decided to boot him on day 59, that _might_ adversly affect his attitude, especially on day 58.

My regular guy has been great too. He once eschewed dropping off a package because it was raining and came back later in the same day. He also was very careful with an overpacked box (antique woodworking tools are heavy) that had split open in shipping.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

My regular guy (following a conversation regarding same) will leave smaller packages in my storm door and larger ones under my picnic table (with a note to that effect on my front door) no matter what the shipping instructions say. He should be by tomorrow with a t-track section for a bandsaw table rail.
I live in an area where, apparently, they are instructed not to do this due to risk of theft.
But the UPS station is 5 miles away in an even worse neighborhood where I'd rather not go after dark ... and those trucks don't get unloaded again until after dark. I used to work a couple buildings away from the UPS station and I consider the risk of assault and carjacking at the UPS station to be much higher than the risk of theft from my porch.
So, since I work at home and am a fairly frequent recipient, he and I have had a chance to discuss matters and arrive at a working agreement that works for both of us.
But there's nothing he can do for me until the package gets on his truck. Nothing at all.
BTW ... since I don't observe Christmas ... what is an appropriate tip and timing for the UPS guy? He's going out on a (short) limb for me ... I'd like to recognize and reward that.
Bill
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Well I'm not inclined to tip delivery people especially since I came home early to celebrate Christmas Eve and found my wife in bed with the mailman. After booting him out of the second story window I confronted my wife, who claimed it was *my idea*!
"What the hell are you talking about, I shouted! "I hated that guy even before today, he's the worse mailman we ever had!" "Well", she replied, When I asked you how we should tip him you said 'Screw him--give him a dollar.'"
--
MS

I find your belief system fascinating. It scratches me right where I itch.
Why not kill two birds with one stone? Buy him an aluminum pole (I find tinsel distracting). Teach him about Festivus. The two birds? One: you bought him a gift. Two: we get another convert to Festivus.
Then you can proceed to the airing of grievances...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Why would I put an aluminum pole in his hands and then complain? Timing, I am told, is everything. It seems wisest to complain while -I- am still in possession of the pole. ;-)

No, the feats of strength follows. I don't believe the aluminum pole comes into play at any point except as decoration--well, that and as the symbol of Festivus.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
J. Clarke wrote:

I feel your pain.. I despise those phone trees. Thanks to those that posted the "get human" database.
I got a bill from a hospital that wasn't itemized or anything.. No indication of what family member it was (just had my name, and I know it wasn't me)..I tried to call to inquire.. After going about 10 deep in prompts with no way to find a human, I just hung up. After it got sent to a collection agency, I called the agency and told them I'd pay for it as soon as I got an itemized bill telling me what it's for. They told me to call the hospital. I said "If you don't have a copy of the bill to send me, then YOU call the hospital".. Never heard from either of them since. I still don't know if it was a legit bill or not, but I'm not going to send anyone money without an explanation.

You mean you didn't have the DRG for the code number? Golly, I thought all we consumers were supposed to have one. Which is why they change them all the time.
What I like is the itemized portion of the invoice is printed, not with the date the service was allegedly rendered, which might allow me to cross-check, but with the date it was billed. With so much opportunity for fraud, is it any wonder there's so much out there?
George wrote:

I have been told that the typical contract between a hospital or doctor and the contractor that handles their billing specifies that the billing agency receives a percentage of what they bill, NOT a percentage of what the service provider receives, not even a percentage of what the patient _should_ have been billed.
IOW, not only is there rampant opportunity, there is also ample motive for fraud, and the doctor or hospital is a victim, along with the patient.
--

FF

Did you happen to check your credit after that?

I would advise the same.
My wife and I had to have a sewer company come out on a Sunday one weekend to fix a backed up sewer line. The person that answered the phone said that the charge for emergencies was $200/hr plus a $75 trip charge. We had no choice and they showed up and in 20 minutes they had the line unclogged. We were expecting a bill for $200+. When we got it it was for $475. The person that answered the phone neglected to tell us that there was a 2 hour minimum charge. We got nowhere with the company and I paid what I thought was reasonable ($225). They sent us to collections and when the collector called I explained the story to him. The next week was the same story, new collector, explanation, and then nothing. Well I thought it was over and 8 months later I was trying to get a car loan and low and behold they had turned it over to the credit bureau as Non-Payment.
I finally was victorious as they took me to court and I won. They had to remove it from my credit but it took almost 18 months.
Allen
Brent Beal wrote:

My credit score is good enough to take a few hits from stuff like that. (over 800). Not really worried about it, but you're right, that's the downside of that strategy.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:52:38 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Almost every mail-order (that includes e-business) I have ever had since tracking was available online has had a tracking number that I've been able to follow (one didn't--I don't know why). The delivery matched the tracking every time.
I had good service in the three places I've lived since UPS started. The guy in Illiniois never had trouble finding me, and when I ordered $2000 worth of radios and power supplies, he went through the back gate and placed them up on the deck by the back door (all instead of the front door) knowing they were expensive.
When I was living in a condo in FL, the UPS guy had a keycode to get in the building (by fiat of the Association) and leave packages by the door in the hall if no one answered.
Here in NFL, the UPS guy lives in the neighborhood and covers up packages left in absentia with the doormat (even though the neighborhood is extremely safe--rarely is anyone in here who doesn't belong here).
I am unaware of ever failing to receive a package that was shipped UPS. Now, if I lived in Canada, I'd be singing an entirely different tune. What they're doing up there is criminal.