Upon reflection - was I was there and saw and heard it

I fully accept the research results that many of you posted. I have thought about this for several days and have concluded that the man in my barracks somehow, and for his own private reasons, faked the CMH. I never saw the medal itself and I now doubt that he had the medal. I only saw what he said was the CMH ribbon. I had never seen one before. None of my fellow cadets probably had ever seen one before either, except perhaps in a military museum or something similar. We were as green as gourds, gullible, and eager to fly. We just accepted what he said as true. I suspect the 2nd Lieutenant was totally unprepared for what happened. My observation of the officer was that he was "shook" when it happened. That may have been the only time the cadet wore the ribbon but I am not certain of that. I also now think the guy set up the officer on purpose since that particular officer had a bad reputation with the cadets.

I did see and hear what I said in my OP. The rest of what I posted is now not my opinion, was most likely inaccurate - or worse - and should be ignored.

I am sorry for the dust up this has caused. It was not intentional.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Hoyt,

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - one way or the other. And for those that think what they read on the web is the gospel truth and all inclusive - there's a bridge up for sale in Brooklyn that I'd like to show you.

Thanks for sharing the memory - that is what counts.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

And that was more than just a few years ago... ;~) You are lucky to have even remembered the incident not to mention the exact details.

Reply to
Leon

You've my respect for setting the record straight, Hoyt.

dave

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Mom's Mom was a WWI nurse. Mom's Dad was in the 32nd "Red Arrow" division in WWI. Mom was a WWII Wave, Dad was on a minesweeper in the Pacific.

We missed the Korean "conflict". I remember looking for my brother's birthday in the Chicago Tribune when the posted the draft results. Fortunately, we missed that one too.

The only dust-up you caused was reminding me to take the time to read up (again) on that famous Red Arrow division. Wisconsin and Michigan National Guard units: Les Terribles!

Think I'll take a few more quiet minutes and think about my Grandpa. For that - Hoyt - I'm greatful!

Reply to
mttt

That incident was early in 1954 - fifty years ago. If I said or implied 1953, I was in error - again. Not "exact" enough though. In my OP I said the cadet was wearing the metal. That was also incorrect. He was wearing the ribbon [fake]. Yup, getting older. I will be 70 in July.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Dave when I screw up, I do it with flash and gusto. Then I try to set things right again as best I can. I am not always successful with everyone affected.

I appreciate your personal comment.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Hoyt, Your story reminded me of an incident I had with a young sailor back at Naval Guided Missile School, at DamNeck,VA. I was a Chief, (E-7) and DamNeck was a training command that I was stationed at. I was walking toward the barracks when I spotted this young sailor coming toward me. What had caught my eye was his chest full of ribbons. Not a few were ones that I had and I knew there was no way this Seaman Recrute, (E-1) could have been awarded them. I stopped him and asked him where he had gotten these ribbons. His reply, "Oh, their mine! I bought them!" Best Regards, Ross

Reply to
raj656