Upgrading the motor on Delta 14" Bandsaw (Model 28-276)

I have a Delta 14" Bandsaw, Model 28-276 and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the motor on this model to something stronger, either 1.5 or 2 HP. Does anyone have any experience doing this on this model? Can it be done?
Thanks, Dave
I have a Delta 14" Bandsaw, Model 28-276 and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the motor on this model to something stronger, either 1.5 or 2 HP. Does anyone have any experience doing this on this model? Can it be done?
Thanks, Dave
It "has to be" the same frame number, the same rpm and the same size shaft for your factory pulley. More horse power is possible given those three things.
dave wrote:

Yes and Yes. The manual tells how to install the motor, the label on the motor should have the frame type, order the HP you want, remove old motor put in new motor.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Delta has sold their 14" saw with HP ratings all over the place, but I beleive the highest factory motor they offered was 1.5hp. I believe your model is the imported rather than US made, but based on past discussions on the ng about this same subject, 1.5hp seems like a reasonable maximum for an upgrade. What does the saw have now?
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin
"L" wrote in message

Yep ... 28-206/28-276, IIRC, was Delta's first "Chinese" bandsaw around 2002.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
On Jan 24, 8:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (L) wrote:

I have the Delta Wood/Metal Bandsaw, I replaced my 1/3 HP motor with a 3/4 HP Baldor motor. I have resawn Walnut at 9" with no major problems, when I replaced the motor I also went with link belts, made sure the drive belt was tight, urethane tires and got a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade.
I would have done a 1 HP motor but the one I got was on closeout at Woodwork.com.
If any one is looking for a working 220vac, 1/3 HP, 1725 RPM motor of vintage age, with 4 step pulley for the W/M bandsaw, I have pics for when I was going to sell it on Ebay.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Mark,
I'm curious how long it takes you to resaw a 9" piece of walnut that is, say, 24 inches long? I could probably do it with my 3/4 Delta motor but I'd be ready for retirement by the time it finished.
Dave

I did a piece that was 25" long, (see web site for the results last pick in Dry Fit) I guess about 10 to 15 minutes as I did not time it.
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /