upgrading PC routers

I purchased a (basic) Porter-Cable router model 690 about a year ago. Anyone know if it can be upgraded by adding a trigger handle or a plunge feature, without having to purchase a new motor?
Dave
Yes. The bases are available separately. I just bought a D-handle base for my 690 series router.

Yes, I now see one on amazon.com ((Amazon.com product link shortened)72849750/sr1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-9928090-5211122?v=glance&s=hi) for $70, but it does say for the model 691 router. The 691 consists of the 6911 D-handle base and the 6912 motor, while the 690 uses the 6902 motor. Is the motor difference just the short power cable allowing it to plug into the D-handle? Dave

for
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:55:27 -0500, "Dave Yeager"

yes

What is the purpose of a D-handle?
Dick Durbin

for
I think the most useful feature is that it integrates a trigger into the handle that turns the router on and off. This way, you don't have to take your hand off the handle to cycle the power.
todd
On 31 Dec 2003 12:23:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@tfn.net (Dick Durbin) wrote:

the D handle provides a full palm grip a little further off center of the router base compared to the standard fixed base. it also, as mentioned by another poster integrates a switch where you don't have to shift your grip to reach it. it's really a matter of preference. I've worked with offset base routers enough to see the advantages, and the folks I know who have them really like them. on the downside, they are bulky and you pay a premium for them.     Bridger
I have the PC 693. It comes with a plunge and a fixed base and interchangeable motor. it is the same motor as yours. you can get the plunge base by checking PC site for dealers. im looking for a new fixed base and found some on E-bay. they may have a plunge base too. its worth checking out.
Dave

ago.