upgrading PC routers

I purchased a (basic) Porter-Cable router model 690 about a year ago. Anyone know if it can be upgraded by adding a trigger handle or a plunge feature, without having to purchase a new motor?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Yeager

Yes. The bases are available separately. I just bought a D-handle base for my 690 series router.

Reply to
Bob's Newsgroups

Yes, I now see one on amazon.com

for $70, but it does say for the model 691 router. The 691 consists of the 6911 D-handle base and the 6912 motor, while the 690 uses the 6902 motor. Is the motor difference just the short power cable allowing it to plug into the D-handle? Dave

Reply to
Dave Yeager

Reply to
Bridger

What is the purpose of a D-handle?

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I think the most useful feature is that it integrates a trigger into the handle that turns the router on and off. This way, you don't have to take your hand off the handle to cycle the power.

todd

Reply to
todd

the D handle provides a full palm grip a little further off center of the router base compared to the standard fixed base. it also, as mentioned by another poster integrates a switch where you don't have to shift your grip to reach it. it's really a matter of preference. I've worked with offset base routers enough to see the advantages, and the folks I know who have them really like them. on the downside, they are bulky and you pay a premium for them. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I have the PC 693. It comes with a plunge and a fixed base and interchangeable motor. it is the same motor as yours. you can get the plunge base by checking PC site for dealers. im looking for a new fixed base and found some on E-bay. they may have a plunge base too. its worth checking out.

Dave

"Dave Yeager" wrote in news:RAsIb.2273$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
Mojo