upgrading bandsaw motor

My Ridgid bandsaw is dragging quite a bit when resawing - no matter the speed or blade. It is an old model with a 3/4 HP motor. Is there any issue with swapping out the motor to a 1 or 11/2 HP? Am out of work, can't afford to buy a new one.

Other option is to convert to 240 - but that would still leave a 3/4 motor that may be going bad..Please help.

Chris

Reply to
cc

------------------------------------------- Some low cost items.

1) Replace existing blade with a new quality resaw blade. 2) Make sure new blade is tracking clean and true. 3) Rewire motor for 240VAC service.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Is there

There has been a few long discussion son this topic over the last few years here. Might be able to find them with search.

I think the consensus is that 1.5x increase in hp should still perform OK on the same frame without causing any problems. 2x might start to be pusing it but still within realm of doability.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If you are running your saw on an extension cord it may pay to rewire to 240 to help guard against voltage drop when you are resawing. If plugged straight into a wall recepticle with adequate amperage rating now, rewiring to 240 will probably be a waste of time.

Are you using a 3 TPI or less blade?

Upgrading the motor "could" decrease the life expentancy of the upper and lower wheel bearings.

With those comments in mind, has the saw ever done better with resawing the same type material. If so what has changed? Old blade, wrong kind of blade?

Reply to
Leon

I upgraded my motor to a 120v 1.5 or 2 horsepower(can't remember) I have never looked back , best upgrade for the bucks. You still have to keep an eye on the sharpness of your blade and when you have to push stock harder or motor complains a little sharpen (Dermal and chainsaw sharpening bit) or put on a new blade. Motor has to be the same speed and arbour diameter for your pulleys. Bigger motor doesn't hurt your bearings (well maybe if your blade is dull as a butter knife and you keep pushing). I had to drill some new mounting holes about an inch away from old ones(was easy) Also was lucky in getting a great unused used motor. 3/4 motor is a design flaw in a 14 inch bandsaw. Good luck

Reply to
Rusty

How about the power cord that provides the power - can it take the surge currents that last for a while ? Is the gauge large enough ?

Often power is dropped in the cable. And that doesn't help.

Mart> My Ridgid bandsaw is dragging quite a bit when resawing - no matter

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn