Updated version of our website

Page 5 of 5
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:46:57 GMT, Michael Baglio

Same with Opera. Once I got over the learning curve (like figuring out how to get Lee Valley's cookies to work, but not others'), its great. Much faster, multiple pages at once, total control over everything. You want to allow javascript for one page, just click on "Quick preferences". Can be obtained free if your are willing to put up with an unobtrusive banner ad in the top right corner.

ugh, frames are a terrible idea, and completely uncessessary. With frames, you cannot bookmark a single page inside the framework. There are plenty of workarounds.
I agree. Avoid using frames completely.
codepath

background.
down

As stated to the other guy, I'm a developer since '95. I do all the internet related stuff for a major auto supplier, in addition to doing some side work. So take my advice as you see fit!
First glace, I like it. It's friendly to resizing the browser size since the text wraps based on the width of my window. The graphics are clean, and fairly easy to read.
Couple things I would change.
It's been shown that online reading is something like 50% slower than reading from paper copy. To make things easier on your users, put more whitespace in the main copy (i.e., more spacing between lines). I generally use around 150% line spacing, but it all depends on the font used.
I'm not big on the animated menu. I like the popout feature, but the animation isn't adding anything to the site.
Don't change the background to yellow. That's nuts.
Put some space between the copy text and menu. The text edges right against the right side of the menu. Put around 20-30 pixels between the two.
What's going on with your Contact Us page? Your phone numbers are all screwed up. In fact, the phone numbers at the bottom are messed up on each page. The phone numbe wrap at the hyphen. I also absolutely can't STAND "Under development" messages. ALL pages are always under development. Get rid of it.
For your own protection, I'd be wary of having your e-mail address on the page. You're going to get flooded with spam. Just put a form on your contact us page that users can fill out. If you reply to them, they will then have your direct e-mail address.
Ok, that's it!
http://www.moorecommunications.com

The floating DHTML was just a lark, I'll probably go with a static menu partially integrated with the graphics at the top.

There was space about that size there. It's not a concern though because when I go to a static menu, it won't be a matter.

Maybe that accounts for the 150 plus spam posts a day I get. I'm in the process of making a contact page, just haven't got to it yet. I need to read up on the POST feature for that and I'll be converting most of the website to PHP when I can find the time to learn that too.]
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, now that spammers have your email address, it will never end. Wow, 150. I get ZERO. If you have control over your email addresses, I'd dump the current one and make a new mailbox.

Dave, if you're still reading this thread, you may want to check out Mease Communications at http://www.measecom.com /.
This guy got _everything_ right. Clean design, consistant across every page, easy to navigate, no java, and _super_ fast loading.
I haven't explored every page in the site, but it appears that once he got a basic page template he liked, he rigourously maintained the look no matter which "services" page he was displaying.
In the finest tradition of website authoring, maybe there's an idea or two there you can steal. :)
Michael
Looks nice except that JavaScript error it throws.
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

woodworking,
it

I think the .mp3 file for the music is so large that was still loading. I went through the whole site, and came back to the main page several times. Apparently this stuff is for sale, but could not find any prices, ordering and shipping info, etc. I noticed that a .mp3 file was still loading when I moved on.
I suspect there is little point in promoting this site in rec.woodworking. The items displayed are all rather simple craft projects, well within the capabilities of even our newbies. They are the things we MAKE, rather than BUY.
said:

line + hook + bait = bites...... lotsa bites.
TomL
ya know what they say in Hollywood, even BAD publicity is still publicity
rich
look how many hits I got to my site, it was at least looked at
Wow, and all you had to do was make a complete ass of yourself! Fear Factor is calling you.
BTW: How many sales did those hits generate?

-------------- I've read all the posts so far and I assume you need no more input regarding you actual site. So I offer a little product help. (not a critique)
Birdhouses:
About a week ago I thought I might just make a couple of birdhouses for the garden as we have a large number of magpies in the area (North of England) and they decimate the song-birds (those the cats don't get). I thought that building one would be easy enough but I did a google anyway. Just as well I did because there is more to those things than one initially considers. To keep this short I spent hours on various sites learning about the needs of various species and the predatory threats they face. I also came across sites that just make the kiddies version of same without much consideration of its use. The sites that showed that they knew the desired purpose and provided helpful details regarding species by species requirement and how their product catered for them would have got my business, if I was going to buy one. So I think you could enhance saleability by including similar helpful data, and designing accordingly. Your customers will feel more confident and satisfied that they have made the correct choice for their locale.
Some of the construction information available is very useful and not instantly obvious, until you think about it.(around here those little external perches and landing decks would summon predators in a flash) Things that look nice can be impractical, unless your customer merely wants a colourful or novel ornament.
You can do a google yourself but to start you off try here: http://birding.about.com/library/weekly/aa032101c.htm
HTH
Ok, with all the publicity I have gotten , all this rigamorole has generated 3 sales (all for the stone house) thus increasing my router budget. Now I can get a better router then the one I anticipated. But, one question why the stone house any specific reasons?
Rich

the
opinons.
regarding you

the
and
building
because
short I

and the

kiddies
showed
would have

Your
correct
instantly
perches and

be
ornament.
Rich wrote:

Any cub scout or brownie/bluebird can build a bird house. The stone house is both unique and attractive.
Congratulations, you've found a /niche/. Now get wild and crazy: Feature a first-class photo of your most beautiful stone house on your home page. (Go with the flow.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I've been a web developer since 95, I'm going to be picky... so here goes...
1) Better photos. I realize you're a small shop, but if you're going to advertise your products, you need some professionally captured photos. You don't have that many, so it wouldn't be that expensive. Photos that have white backgrounds and proper lighting. I'm sure those walking sticks are quite beautiful, but you'd never know it from the website.
Here's an example of a site that I did: Take a look at the lousy photos they supplied me http://www.tubefab.org/inhouse.htm
Then look at the new photos they're starting to take: http://www.tubefab.org/scmach.htm
Day and night. Notice also that the new photo were taken with a very good high res camera, and we have the ability to zoom to a larger picture for some detail work. These are small parts you're looking at.
2) Consistent font sizes and weights. 3) A consistent logo with the name of the company incorporated into the graphic. 4) Better descriptions of the product. The cheese board says: "These boards are very decorative and add a touch of elegance to your serving needs." Why should I buy yours over the other guy? I don't even know what kind of wood these are made from. 5) Either boot the "Home" button off the home page, or highlight the button based on the page I'm currently on. 6) Others have talked about music and mouse trails. I don't hear those, but I may have activeX downloads turned off on this machine. If you have them, dump them.
Unfortunately, I can't always follow my own advice because I do what my clients ask me to do. I had one guy insist I put a picture of his Grandson on his business website!
However, I steer them in the right direction as much as possible.
If you're still confused between good and bad design, take a look at
www.webpagesthatsuck.com