Updated version of our website

ROFLMAO!!!!! You watered my eyes, yes you did!

"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" >

Reply to
codepath

It would be nice if you'd include a bit of context when you respond to a post...

Doug Miller

Rich, are you sure you're cut out to sell your goods? I read all of the comments from this thread as well as the earlier one you started and my opinion (unbiased I think) is if you're this bent out of shape over these comments you're NOT going to survive dealing with unhappy customers who think your product is crap, damaged, misleading, too big, too small, not the color on the web site, not what Aunt Mildred wanted, was eaten by the dog and they need a free replacement, after 5 years no birds have moved into the birdhouse so they want a refund, etc.

These comments don't seem harsh to me at all. You said you wanted honest opinions and that you wouldn't take it too bad. They gave you their opinion. All the comments look constructive to me. Perhaps you weren't looking for ALL opinions, but just praise?

BTW, it IS a business; it WAS a hobby. When you sell your product it's a business. Your profits will be turned back into the business in the form of tools. That's cool and maybe it will be a small part-time business, but a business none-the-less.

The main suggestion I have is that your web site is your business's image. Mouse trails and such come across as amateurish. I know you like them, I did too the first time I learned how to do one, but today they appear amateurish. Do I want to send my money to an amateur? Probably not. Look at other company's sites (someone suggested Lee Valley, but look at any site) and see how many of them have mouse trails, how many of them have music, how many of them have pictures that are slightly misaligned. Did you find any? Of the few, if any, you found how did it make you feel about the company? Did it give you more or less confidence in them compared to other companies? I understand you only put stuff on the first site, but that might be the ONLY site anyone looks at unless you captivate them to dig deeper.

Good luck, and take the comments of all potential customers as valuable.

Reply to
Larry C

[snip]

Not yet we haven't. Not bloody likely!

Reply to
codepath

I worked with a guy that had a few feet of guts removed. 10 minutes after lunch he was running to the can. Like clock work! In one end, out the other!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

You said: "I like the site, It not only has to have a "mans" point of view but it must also appeal to women. We just make the things they buy them! We don't like shopping for clothes or dishes so that stuff has little appeal to us.

Rich"

If you like the site, why bother to ask our opinions and then thumb your nose by not making any changes and THEN ASKING FOR US TO REVIEW IT AGAIN.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

LOL.....

Reply to
Bridger

Morris, You are a real gentlemen giving this depth of review to Rich. I tried that the first time. Effort was lost of him.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

No I'm not. Sometimes /I/ need to hear the same advice multiple times from multiple sources (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I'll bet he could eat what he wanted and never put on weight either. My father had similar surgery. After that, he ate whatever he wanted and as much as he wanted and stayed as thin as a rail. Not that I'd want to experience a bowel resection just so I could eat, but there are a few advantages.

Reply to
Upscale

Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 8:19pm (EST+5) NOSPAM (Michael=A0Baglio= snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com>) says: Hmmm... this is a newsgroup first. I just agreed with everything you said. I'd better go take something.

Huh? What'd I say? What'd I say? I guess maybe that was where I said I was intelligent, and good looking. Yeah, that was it. Thanks Mike. LMAO

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Nope, he looked like an upright polar bear. Fuzzy like it, too! Only bald.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I design web pages for Christian churches and organizations and have found the simpler the better. The page is for the viewer or customer not the designer. If it loads to slowly or has annoying features they will leave and go elsewhere. Generally if they don't see something they of interest within

10 - 20 seconds they are gone, tweak their interest and they will hang around and look. For the web designer fancy dodads and stuff are - oh look what I did that's neat, but for the person visiting the page it is something to slow down the load and distract them from what they are really looking for.

I would suggest centering the information on the screen and go with a plain white background or if you want the mottled look make it a consistent background over the whole page it just looks better and cleaner.

Home page

1) moving text gets old and annoying real fast.

2) suggest you resize the wolf picture so it lines up.

Shelves and boxes

1) photo would likely look better if you had a couple pictures - closer and no other objects in background such as couch.

2) Give a time period for the gun and fishing rod rack photos - ie early March, early April 2004

3) Same comments as for home page except moving text is gone which is a good thing.

Planters

1) At first I though captions were reversed for the pictures but realized you have an extra one at the bottom for the 3 pot planter and the original caption for the 3 pot planter is in bold making it appear to be part of the heading.

Shop

1) Suggest you clean it up and retake the pictures it would look much more professional. First impressions are everything and an impression of a cluttered shop is the same as a dirty cluttered garage when you take your car in for work you are unsure if you want these guys to work on it or not.

In General

Most of the photos were taken to far away to give the viewer a good idea of what he is looking at. Photo's should be good quality closeups with the option of a larger view. For some of us me included a 1 - 2 inch photo on the screen is just to small. The option of clicking on the photo and getting a full screen picture would improve things. If you do this don't do what I have seen some others do and just enlarge the small picture. It gets "blocky" and is really poor quality. Start with a good quality picture for the large one and reduce it for the thumbnail.

Many have mentioned the sound. I didn't hear it - maybe it has been removed or perhaps the way my system is set up but don't put sound in. If you want to provide sound make it an option with the default to off.

Someone mentioned removing the link to the page you were presently on. Don't worry about that to much it gives you pages a consistent look from one to another, a better idea would be to remove the link but leave the text and highlight it in a different color as an indication of where you are in the site.

webservant

Web design for churches

Bible Translators Caribbean
/ mental health
Baptist Church

Rick Gibson

Unfortunately, the internet has bred a detached mind set where people will say things online that they'd never say in person. I know I'm guilty of that, but you can't escape it, so don't let it deter you. Take what people have said with a grain of salt and move on. I'm sure that most of the people where would be great company if they got them together for a beer or two, so just look at it like they've run out of beer for awhile, ignore the harsh words and go make a beer run. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Un upright polar bear? Ha, that's a good one! Is that shaped anything like a mushroom?

Reply to
Upscale

Ok, I'll stick my neck out. It doesn't have anything to do with woodworking, but I'd appreciate an opinion of my business website, mostly finished not too long ago. To me it seems a little drab and I was wonder how to spice it up a bit without going overboard. Any comments good or bad will be appreciated and/or tolerated.

Upscale

Yup, we love ya alright.

Pot, meet kettle, kettle, meet pot.

He didn't bar, he asked. See the word "Please" at the beginning?

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Hope it helps.

Another small piece of advice - if you're gonna hang out on Usenet, you gotta get a thick skin.

Aside from the fact that it's very easy to misunderstand intent in the written word, there are a lot of people who are -very- smart but not socially skilled who hang out here.

I'm a technogeek myself and some of the most intelligent people I know mean well, but are hard to interact with. If their only means of communication were typing, they'd be lynched in short order. :-)

Took me about 20 years out of school to learn how to deal with people myself.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

TomL

Reply to