Updated version of our website

Page 2 of 5
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:40 GMT, Michael Baglio

LOL.....
Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 8:19pm (EST+5) NOSPAM
I just agreed with everything you said. I'd better go take something.
Huh? What'd I say? What'd I say? I guess maybe that was where I said I was intelligent, and good looking. Yeah, that was it. Thanks Mike. LMAO
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
<snip>

I worked with a guy that had a few feet of guts removed. 10 minutes after lunch he was running to the can. Like clock work! In one end, out the other!

I'll bet he could eat what he wanted and never put on weight either. My father had similar surgery. After that, he ate whatever he wanted and as much as he wanted and stayed as thin as a rail. Not that I'd want to experience a bowel resection just so I could eat, but there are a few advantages.
Upscale wrote:

Un upright polar bear? Ha, that's a good one! Is that shaped anything like a mushroom?

Apparently you're operating with a different set of definitions, such as CONSTRUCTIVE = agreeable to you COLDHEARTED = telling you that something that sucks, sucks.
You *asked* for opinions, remember? You got them, you didn't like them, and now you're crying about it. If all you wanted was unconditional approval, you should've asked your Mom. If you don't want honest opinions, or can't handle it when you get them, don't ask.
When I was a kid, my Dad told me, over and over, "Be careful what you ask for. You might get it."
Words to take to heart.

If you think that insulting us is going to improve your reception here... you might want to think again.

Apparently in your dictionary, "misguided" means "doesn't match your opinions".

I wonder how many killfiles you've been added to today...
Rich, are you sure you're cut out to sell your goods? I read all of the comments from this thread as well as the earlier one you started and my opinion (unbiased I think) is if you're this bent out of shape over these comments you're NOT going to survive dealing with unhappy customers who think your product is crap, damaged, misleading, too big, too small, not the color on the web site, not what Aunt Mildred wanted, was eaten by the dog and they need a free replacement, after 5 years no birds have moved into the birdhouse so they want a refund, etc.
These comments don't seem harsh to me at all. You said you wanted honest opinions and that you wouldn't take it too bad. They gave you their opinion. All the comments look constructive to me. Perhaps you weren't looking for ALL opinions, but just praise?
BTW, it IS a business; it WAS a hobby. When you sell your product it's a business. Your profits will be turned back into the business in the form of tools. That's cool and maybe it will be a small part-time business, but a business none-the-less.
The main suggestion I have is that your web site is your business's image. Mouse trails and such come across as amateurish. I know you like them, I did too the first time I learned how to do one, but today they appear amateurish. Do I want to send my money to an amateur? Probably not. Look at other company's sites (someone suggested Lee Valley, but look at any site) and see how many of them have mouse trails, how many of them have music, how many of them have pictures that are slightly misaligned. Did you find any? Of the few, if any, you found how did it make you feel about the company? Did it give you more or less confidence in them compared to other companies? I understand you only put stuff on the first site, but that might be the ONLY site anyone looks at unless you captivate them to dig deeper.
Good luck, and take the comments of all potential customers as valuable.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

Yup, we love ya alright.
Pot, meet kettle, kettle, meet pot.
He didn't bar, he asked. See the word "Please" at the beginning?
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
MICHEAL BAGLIO said You changed your "shop" photo from one of a door, to one of a mess. I know, shops are messy, but you're putting it up on display to show people you're a legitimate "business" here, so at least for the web photos, clean it up.
And seriously now, Dude, is that, like, _laundry_ hanging over your tools? What's with the towels? My shops not a mess it's small and tight but never a mess. And the "laundry" as you put it are hand towels hanging over my work area for easy reach. Theres a different type of towel for different reasons, alas I don't know why I must explain it but anywho!
I like the site, It not only has to have a "mans" point of view but it must also appeal to women. We just make the things they buy them! We don't like shopping for clothes or dishes so that stuff has little appeal to us.
Rich

Michael, actually.

My mistake. It just really resembles a mess in the picture. It must be one of those "camera adds 10 pounds" things.

You mistook my question. I didn't ask what they were for, I asked why are they in the photo? If you take a photo of your living room, don't you put the vacuum cleaner away first? I don't _know_ since I'm not there, but it sure appears as if you just put whatever photo you had available on your website, rather than re-taking one specifically aimed at marketing your workplace.

There's no reason to explain it at all. Having towels hanging over your tools like used bar rags will tell your potential customers everything they need to know about the level of your commitment to producing a quality product. There's no chance at all that they'll see that photo and think that the effort you put into the stuff you want them to buy is on the same par with the effort you put into showing your shop off in it's best light. (Geez, man do ya get it yet?)

Who cares? You're not the customer.

Haven't you read _any_thing _any_one's posted in response to your request? You're site doesn't appeal even to us hairy-backed, chest-beating, smelly-armpitted men. You think you're scoring some style points with the women on this group? If you are then PLEASE don't blow what little chance you have by saying something totally sexist and apish.

Oh damn, you did it anyway. GREAT marketing move there.

<SHHhhh...> Don't tell Ralph Lauren, he thinks he's selling millionsof those POLO shirts men don't like shopping for. He doesn't realize you're snagging 'em all at the thrift store for shop rags.
Michael
[snip]

Not yet we haven't. Not bloody likely!
You said: "I like the site, It not only has to have a "mans" point of view but it must also appeal to women. We just make the things they buy them! We don't like shopping for clothes or dishes so that stuff has little appeal to us.
Rich"
If you like the site, why bother to ask our opinions and then thumb your nose by not making any changes and THEN ASKING FOR US TO REVIEW IT AGAIN.

Can't tolerate it. I won't bother with a webpage that has music I can't control, and the mouse trails are irritating as heck.
Jon E
Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 5:47am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Rich) claims: Hope this time we get better reviews. I left the music, but it's only on the first page along with the annoying following words. Remember HONEST opinons. I won't take it too bad,.
Dump the music. You say: All items are one of a kind!
Every time I see someone saying this, I expect items to be just that - one of a kind. The Empire State Building is one of a kind. I make banks. I paint 'em by hand, colors vary, etc., slight differences, no two exactly alike; but still, the same basic design. I wouldn't feel right calling them one of a kind.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
Boy either your all brutal or you need to drink your coffee!
Rich
Rich wrote:

He might want to switch to decaf.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Rich wrote:

Rich, don't let these guys get to you. It's waaay to easy to be an asshole when you're not in front of the people whose work you're putting down.
When any of these insensitive fools make their own web site and have the balls to point it out for critique, then will they even be at your level.
Also remember, critics are a dime a dozen, people who actually do things, are much harder to find.
For example: Did I ever mention how I think Sam Malloof rocking chairs stink cuz they look like they are taken right out of "BeetleJuice"? Of course I will not mention that I have never even tried to make a rocking chair... Does this statement sound reasonable? No, it's just a shithead talking trash. That's what some of these posts regarding your web site are.
--
gabriel

pot.... kettle....
Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 3:48pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@no--spam.com (gabriel) puts out: Rich, don't let these guys get to you. It's waaay to easy to be an asshole when you're not in front of the people whose work you're putting down. When any of these insensitive fools make their own web site and have the balls to point it out for critique, then will they even be at your level. <snip>
Basically, I don't say a thing here I wouldn't say to someone's face.
I'm not an asshole, I'm not insensitive, and I'm not a fool, so it's pretty obvious you weren't referring to me. I do have a website. Anyone can critique it that wants. But note, on the first page, it does state that if you're too tight-assed to dance, you probably won't like it there. And, at the start of the contents, there is also a warning. Finally, last, but not least, I put it up for my benefit, so I really don't give a rat's rosy red rectum if people care for it, or not; however, anyone is welcome to make use of the links and info there. It's also ot a commercial site, which makes a huge difference. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATJackOfAllTrades /