Updated my (woodworking related) website

All great comments thanks.

Regading buying my furniture. Currently I am only offering the outdoor furniture at wholesale, so I am visiting retail buyers trying to get them to stock my chairs. The kit business will activate later and I'll have full online ecommerce.

Joomla is great. It does take some setup and a little html type knowledge but you can also easily get help from the forum. I was hav> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:45:00 -0800 (PST), the infamous

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 --Thomas Paine

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

SonomaProducts.com wrote: ...

Nit (altho I agree w/ most if not all of LJ's comments on fonts/colors/etc.)

Being limited in bandwidth I appreciated that the front page loaded relatively quickly. The resolution of the project pictures might possibly be cut down a little--I was about to give up when one did finally display. Granted, most folks nowadays that you'll probably have any chance to sell anything to will have highspeed connection so it may not be worth too much effort.

In the discussion on furniture... "...this unique service by leveraging our talented craftsman..." was jarring to read. Leveraging our _a_ craftsman???

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yes, and "leveraging" reeks of marketing bs to me, particularly when applied to a single person... :)

It just sounded excessively pretentious as worded, basically (and trust me, having spent almost 30 years as consultant writing proposals I tried every trick I could think of to try to make impressive credentials, prior job experience, etc., etc., etc., in order to sell or try to "bulk up" the proposal... :) )

Again, just a thought but it did give me a wince to read...maybe nobody else will even notice.

--

Reply to
dpb

As I noted in the earlier response I was suggesting to minimize "the bs quotient".

Specifically, if what you're trying to do is say you've got the facilities, equipment and people to run part-production lines in volume then say so don't use euphemisms w/ management-bingo buzz words.

HTH at least clarify where I was coming from and what grated my teeth...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yeah, see other note on what I'd put there instead, though.

Particularly if you're really serious about the commercial clients I think it would help to have specific capabilities rather than fluff.

I looked at that section specifically because while I'll never do it the one thing I've thought if were to try serious w-working ever again I'd like to have would be a commercial moulding shop w/ similar-type architectural detail work. But since ended up back on farm the population density here isn't sufficient to even consider it even w/o the present market conditions but I wondered what you were up to and/or where heading...

good luck; as others have said overall it's more than just good; it's excellent layout, etc.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes. In particular the Mission tables. They're exactly what we're looking for.

Ah, the old bait and switch trick. ;-)

Rats. I guess I can put my credit cards away.

BTW, as long as you're looking for misteaks, when you select Kits->Jack London->Jack London Coffee table, a picture of the coffee table is shown but the caption says "Jack London End Table". Just a nit, on an otherwise very nice site; simple and elegant.

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:17:19 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

No, he's prompting you to use "Leveraging our talented craftsmEn."

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:19:38 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Check the .CSS file for that template.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would suggest using .gifs for all your image files save those in a "gallery page" where framed thumbnails are linked to .bmps or jpegs of large images that ope in a new frame or window.

Although most folks seem to have HS Internet Access - they are a significant number of potential customers on DSL and Dial-Up.

The best sites IMHO are those one can speed through, drilling down to the information required quickly and simply. "Begin with the end in mind," is a good thought to hold when designing a site.

So many folks get entangled in the FLASH that the resulting site detracts from its raison d'etre.

KISS is another principle one might embrace in the design phase.

The best designs are completed on paper and de-bugged on paper. Only then should one decide upon the tool(s), templates, software needed to create the pages to put up on the web.

Unfortunately, it is easier to get something up on the web by writing it in a software "package" replete with its own tools and templates that tend to define the sructure for you.

I admit to having taken the later route for my web adventures to date. But, were I creating a commercial venture I would design my site irrespective of the tools at hand and commission someone else to craft the final product / code.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Nicely done...

Good luck with the sales.

Simple is better > I spent my holiday vacation time rebuilding my website

Pat Barber