Updated my (woodworking related) website

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:45:00 -0800 (PST), the infamous

It looks very nice, professional. Some small usability suggestions follow:
The "fine bandcrafted products" text is hard to read. (Yes, I know it's an H but it looks like a B online.) I suggest a bolder logo text for your company name and subtitle.
Also, the gray text is awfully light. I highly recommend a darker text for more readability. You want to make it easy for people to stay interested.
Third, there is no way to buy furniture from you. Suggest eBay buttons with standardized shipping prices. You'll have to figure those out.
Fourth, the pics of custom furniture are wider than my screen, preventing me from seeing the arrow buttons on the bottom. I run 1024 wide, the 'standard' screen rez right now. Old folks with bad eyes (people who would be buying your furniture) run lower resolutions, so your pics might be two screens wide for them. I never design a site which is more than 800 pixels wide, usually limiting them to 760. Also, oging through the pictures required me to constantly shift the screen up and down to find the button. Smaller pics would allow a slide show without as much trouble. Allowing them to click on the pics for larger versions would be good, too.
I really like your 2-drawer A&C lamp tables, BTW. All of your quartersawn stuff was nice. (Jack London)
Assembly instructions for the Adirondack chair, step 2 lost its left margin and the S is up against the border bar. Add a <br> under the "Now tighten all bolts." Ditto the margin problem with the T in Table Assembly below it.
How do you like working with Joomla? I'm considering it for my ancient and outdated site. ;)
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
All great comments thanks.
Regading buying my furniture. Currently I am only offering the outdoor furniture at wholesale, so I am visiting retail buyers trying to get them to stock my chairs. The kit business will activate later and I'll have full online ecommerce.
Joomla is great. It does take some setup and a little html type knowledge but you can also easily get help from the forum. I was having trouble getting my purchased template properly configured and found a guy from the forum to do it on contract for $85 in a day.

SonomaProducts.com wrote: ...

Nit (altho I agree w/ most if not all of LJ's comments on fonts/colors/etc.)
Being limited in bandwidth I appreciated that the front page loaded relatively quickly. The resolution of the project pictures might possibly be cut down a little--I was about to give up when one did finally display. Granted, most folks nowadays that you'll probably have any chance to sell anything to will have highspeed connection so it may not be worth too much effort.
In the discussion on furniture... "...this unique service by leveraging our talented craftsman..." was jarring to read. Leveraging our _a_ craftsman???
Not sure I get the jist. Are you saying I am just one guy vs "our"?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Yes, and "leveraging" reeks of marketing bs to me, particularly when applied to a single person... :)
It just sounded excessively pretentious as worded, basically (and trust me, having spent almost 30 years as consultant writing proposals I tried every trick I could think of to try to make impressive credentials, prior job experience, etc., etc., etc., in order to sell or try to "bulk up" the proposal... :) )
Again, just a thought but it did give me a wince to read...maybe nobody else will even notice.
Very astute, it is marketing bs. I'll think about changing it... after I figure out how to darken the text color a liitle. I really just needed some space filler to fit in that third top slot that came with my template.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

... Yeah, see other note on what I'd put there instead, though.
Particularly if you're really serious about the commercial clients I think it would help to have specific capabilities rather than fluff.
I looked at that section specifically because while I'll never do it the one thing I've thought if were to try serious w-working ever again I'd like to have would be a commercial moulding shop w/ similar-type architectural detail work. But since ended up back on farm the population density here isn't sufficient to even consider it even w/o the present market conditions but I wondered what you were up to and/or where heading...
good luck; as others have said overall it's more than just good; it's excellent layout, etc.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:19:38 -0800 (PST), the infamous

Check the .CSS file for that template.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

As I noted in the earlier response I was suggesting to minimize "the bs quotient".
Specifically, if what you're trying to do is say you've got the facilities, equipment and people to run part-production lines in volume then say so don't use euphemisms w/ management-bingo buzz words.
HTH at least clarify where I was coming from and what grated my teeth...
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:17:19 -0800 (PST), the infamous

No, he's prompting you to use "Leveraging our talented craftsmEn."
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
I would suggest using .gifs for all your image files save those in a "gallery page" where framed thumbnails are linked to .bmps or jpegs of large images that ope in a new frame or window.
Although most folks seem to have HS Internet Access - they are a significant number of potential customers on DSL and Dial-Up.
The best sites IMHO are those one can speed through, drilling down to the information required quickly and simply. "Begin with the end in mind," is a good thought to hold when designing a site.
So many folks get entangled in the FLASH that the resulting site detracts from its raison d'etre.
KISS is another principle one might embrace in the design phase.
The best designs are completed on paper and de-bugged on paper. Only then should one decide upon the tool(s), templates, software needed to create the pages to put up on the web.
Unfortunately, it is easier to get something up on the web by writing it in a software "package" replete with its own tools and templates that tend to define the sructure for you.
I admit to having taken the later route for my web adventures to date. But, were I creating a commercial venture I would design my site irrespective of the tools at hand and commission someone else to craft the final product / code.
Thanks for the hint. Regaarding the gallery type images, I use a plugin that does all the work for me. I add one small statement on the page telling it what directory to look in and it makes the thumbnails and puts them on the page and makes the popup work. I can then just add or remove images from the directory and it keeps everything update automatic.

Nicely done...
Good luck with the sales.
Simple is better in a web page.