Update on the treehouse bridge in the redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains

Page 3 of 3
Phil Hobbs wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:45:37 -0500:

Actually, if you saw the first pictures, the cables don't actually "touch" any tree (this is the smallest pine at the low end):
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2944/15188634078_2b3de04150.jpg
What we did was attach two-by fours to the tree, and then wrap the cables around the two by fours.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3870/15188634228_37f45d19e2_c.jpg
Dunno if that will "protect" the tree or not; but that's why we did it that way (in theory).
You'll notice we doubled the cable at *both* ends also, so that there are always *two* cables at all points, even around the big tree where there is no cable joint at all.

Actually a bolt through the tree is the least damaging way to attach something. The comparison with woodpeckers nests is not valid - they make large holes that greatly interfere with sap flow. Methods wrapping around a trunk can do enormous damage as the tree grows, including effectively ring-barking (hence killing) the tree.

Shouldn't there be a forestry or similar department you could ask for advice?
On 2/16/2015 9:21 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Is the cable(s) around the tree adjustable for growth ? Or will the blocks start to dig in.
Martin
Martin Eastburn wrote, on Tue, 17 Feb 2015 16:03:06 -0600:

Not adjustable, at least not in the sense that we built that into the design.
So, eventually, the blocks will dig into the tree.
I helped my neighbor with the 75-foot by 16-foot wide (at the tree) bridge today, so I figured I'd show you some shots from below:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8652/16450875917_af82eebc34_c.jpg
Notice in that picture above that there is a "widowmaker" of about ten feet long hanging in mid air, ready to fall. Also notice that the "sucker" was cut flush, and the boards screwed to it ...just because we could.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8567/16657149282_ea45534049_c.jpg
We're close enough to the big redwood to touch it now!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8592/16658170035_a640960476_c.jpg
Here's a view, looking down, at the big tree, inches away from it:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8660/16470768820_6acd2799dd_c.jpg
That's a milestone after so much work starting at the other end.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8633/16450876947_275ed77b68_c.jpg
I tried to get a picture to take the whole thing, from under:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8626/16450875757_e3f7fe0fba_c.jpg
But, the best I can show you in a single pic is a side view:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8584/16656782871_c9052bebfa_c.jpg
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 7:50:12 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

It is just me or do I keep seeing haphazard placement of the joists?
Why do some joists appear to be at angles?
What are some deck board spans much longer than others?
Why aren't I seeing 16" or 24" OC joists?