update on gloat

A while back I posted that a neighbor gave me a fallen black walnut tree - "come and get it". Well, I did. I was only able to harvest about 15 feet of the trunk (diameter - 10" to 12") as the rest was downhill in a ravine and we were unable to get it out.
Today, I took the 3 five foot long logs to a local sawyer. BTW, it is not easy to find a sawyer! They are around, but most don't advertise. I found this guy by word of mouth I called ahead and he said he'd do the work for 35 cents a board foot. I arrived this afternoon expecting to leave the logs and get them another day. He said he'd cut them right now. Cool. He fired up his Wood Mizer Hydraulic and got to work. Man, what a neat machine. He spent over two hours on my logs and we ended up with 18 to 20 4/4 boards five feet long and 4 to 8 inches wide. He figured out my bill - 72 BF at 35 cents. Total was $25. I told him I couldn't pay him that little for that much work. He just said "I quoted you 35 cents, so that's what you owe me". I gave him 2 twenties and insisted he keep the change. Probably should have given him a bit more. So, 72BF for 40 bucks is roughly 50 cents a BF. Not bad. I'll sticker the boards in the morning and put a little green wood end sealer on them and in about a year, build something.
Wow. What a deal. I admire him for the price he quoted and for keeping his word. I also admire you for realizing the deal you were getting and giving 'closer' to what it was worth. In any case, next year around this time I bet we'll be seeing some nice Walnut project pics posted on abpw.
Definitely a continued gloat in my eyes.
Mike W.

Good deal all around. Now you have a good sawyer for future gloats.
bob wrote:

Would you care to post his name (or business name) and phone number? There might be a few volunteers with trees who'd like to help you get even with him...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 03:57:29 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

I don't know this sawyer, but you can always call WoodMizer directly and they will give you info on sawyers in your area.
--
Joe Wells

Joe Wells wrote:

Yes of course - on the other hand, the folks at WoodMizer may or may not have a handle on which machine owners take the best care of their customers.
<rant> We're generally quick enough to finger those whose business practices or product quality we don't like. Why not strive for a bit of balance and do the same for those we do like? </rant>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Got to love a good gloat.
00
Rob
Statistics say that 88% of all car accidents happen within a 7 mile radius from home.
...... I'm moving.
bob wrote:

Where are you, Bob. I'd bet one of us is nearby. A length of rope and a pick-up truck should make more of that tree available pretty quickly.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

And this time, maybe some turning blanks?
Patriarch wrote:

Absoflutely! God I love air dried or wet walnut for turning. Got to be the most fun you can have with your pants on. The iridescence and the colors, reminds me of a dark aurora borealis or australis for our southern brethren. So, where's the wood? I gots a truck, a chain, and a couple of saws.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
bob wrote:

Birmingham, AL is a bit of a drive, Fairfax is up in VA. Maybe trimming the branches and cutting the main trunk into shorter lengths wouyld help get it out of the ditch. I just hate to see good walnut go to waste.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work