Update on Chinchilla/Pine Discussion

I was discussing pine cage construction with someone and asked whether he used kiln-dried wood, or just picked up whatever pine was at the store. His reply was, "The pine I used was kiln dried from a hardware store - if its not kiln dried it could contain phenol oils which could cause problems." (He is in England). This might answer the question someone was trying to find out about turpentines being driven off by a kiln. I don't know if the "phenol oils" are the answer, but could be.
I wonder if smaller hardware stores or real lumber yards might have kiln-dried as compared to HD or Lowes.
dwhite
I apologize for my bad advice. Phenols?

Can't say I know anything about what kind of chemicals are found in wood, but turpentine is in there I suppose phenols could be, too. Maybe I'll ask the other guy where he got his information.
dwhite

ask
Pine _used_ to be treated with pentachlorophenol to kill bluestain fungus. Imagine kiln-drying would have accelerated its vaporization.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/ii-2.pdf
<snip>

I can buy it from the 'real lumberyard' here. It isn't inexpensive, but then, how much do you really need?
Patriarch
I don't have an chinchillas but was amused at the controversy a few days ago so I DAGS and found this link. http://groups.msn.com/GraniteCityChinchillas/toysandtreats.msnw

His
the

he
its

But we still don't know if the drying method affects phenols...

and
there
Well I think the inference is that the kiln drying volatilizes the oils, driving them off. The question is whether they will volatilize on their own over time at ambient temps.
dwhite