Update on an already exercised gloat

Page 1 of 2

A while back I mentioned that I'd licensed a design for a circular saw cross-cutting guide, with the gloat that it'd be marked "Made in USA". I guessed that it might find its way to market sometime in the following six months...
This morning I got a call to let me know that dealers had been lined up, that the first batch had been produced, product was being shipped, and that the guide was being offered for sale on the licensee's web site (http://www.saw-jaw.com/ with a link at "New Item").
It's being manufactured at a plant in northern Iowa. /That/ I like!
Congrats! Is this going to be available from any other suppliers? What material is the square made of? I do have one question regarding my saw and potential use with this jig - on the edge of the square where the saw plate registers against the square, how tall is that little fence surface? The motor housing on my saw sticks out past the plate, and I've had problems with various jigs I've used in the past, as the motor body catches on the straightedge when trying to make a deep-ish cut. Did that make sense? Congrats on licensing a product that looks like it will be accurate and useful (and made in the USA), Andy
One other question - how long is the fence edge of the square? (i.e. would this be suitable for cross-cutting a 10" board? 12"?) Thanks, Andy
Andy (in snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| One other question - how long is the fence edge of the square? | (i.e. would this be suitable for cross-cutting a 10" board? 12"?)
My drawing called for a 12" fence, so as to provide an extra half inch of fence support for starting cuts in (nominal) 12" stock. Three screw holes are provided in the fence for attachment of an extension to handle even wider stock; but I don't think I'd want to cut stock wider than about 24" with a fence extension if I were trying for a precision cut.
Andy (in snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| Congrats! Is this going to be available from any other suppliers? | What material is the square made of? | I do have one question regarding my saw and potential use with this | jig - on the edge of the square where the saw plate registers | against the square, how tall is that little fence surface? The | motor housing on my saw sticks out past the plate, and I've had | problems with various jigs I've used in the past, as the motor body | catches on the straightedge when trying to make a deep-ish cut. Did | that make sense? | Congrats on licensing a product that looks like it will be accurate | and useful (and made in the USA),
Andy...
My understanding is that it's being made of aluminum. The sample that I provided (and they liked) was type 6061 16 ga aluminum. I'd expect that the production version is the same.
The CAD drawing I provided - and that I think was used to produce the toolpaths for laser-cutting - had 3/4" tabs to be bent after cutting. If that's what they used, the fence should be 3/4" less the amount lost to the bend.
It could be a problem cutting full-depth if the motor housing is much less than 3/4" from the bottom of the sole plate.
Good for you Morris. I hope they sell a million of them, this year.

Leon (in 2YbAf.12295$F snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net) said:
| Good for you Morris. I hope they sell a million of them, this | year.
Thanks, Leon. If they do that, we'll need figure out where to have the celebration and how much beer and BBQ to order. :-D
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

... and Charlie Self's got a little book that'll help you figure that out. ;)
Congratulations!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman (in 6tmdnSDUW snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com) said:
| ... and Charlie Self's got a little book that'll help you figure | that out. ;)
'S a good thing. I haven't had occasion to put on that kind of celebration since I made E5. I'm a bit rusty. :-)
| Congratulations!
Thanks!

I vote for Edwin Pawlowski to cater the party. (I have lost an additional 10 pounds since I stopped visiting his web site.) <G>
Congrats, Morris, and I sincerely hope that the profits will fund any and all future projects for you.
Rob
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net) said:
| I vote for Edwin Pawlowski to cater the party. (I have lost an | additional 10 pounds since I stopped visiting his web site.) <G>
I'd better file that away... :-D
| Congrats, Morris, and I sincerely hope that the profits will fund | any and all future projects for you.
Thanks! It's beginning to look like it might generate funding for at least the current project (a separate part of the same phone conversation).
Thanks!

Just let me know when the royalty checks start pouring in.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Way to go Morris. Glad you found a beaten path to place your better mousetrap!
Regards,
Rick
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:17:29 GMT, "Rick M"

Sure is nice to hear of some jobs being created HERE in the US for a change ! As SWMBO would say: "Ya done good. kid" !
Lenny
Lenny (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| Sure is nice to hear of some jobs being created HERE in the US for a | change ! | As SWMBO would say: "Ya done good. kid" !
Thanks - I think that if we want to create jobs here, then we'll pretty much have to be the ones to make it happen - and then to keep 'em we'll need to demonstrate (over and over again) that we can do it best and least expensively.
I'm convinced we can do that. My experience here on the wreck has made clear to me that we're really good at creative problem-solving; and especially so when we work cooperatively - and perhaps extra-especially so when there's an "attaboy" for good results.
That your SWMBO understands this definitely makes her a keeper. Ya picked good.
Rick M (in JrcAf.21009$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com) said:
| Way to go Morris. Glad you found a beaten path to place your better | mousetrap!
Thanks!

Excellent on all counts!
The only problem with coming up with such a smart but simple design, is that woodworkers, naturally being a DIY lot, will remark to themselves, "... I can make that!"
Good luck, and may you cash many royalty checks!
Kevin
Wow... so many try, so many fail. >Congratulations< on making to the finish line of bringing your product all the way to market. I second the idea... hope you sell a million and keep a few more Americans in jobs along the way.
Great looking product!
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (in snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| Wow... so many try, so many fail. >Congratulations< on making to | the finish line of bringing your product all the way to market. I | second the idea... hope you sell a million and keep a few more | Americans in jobs along the way.
Thanks. Incidentally, it wasn't the first idea and it wasn't the first person/outfit approached with this one. It's beginning to look like one of the most important parts of the job is 'showing up'.
I'm not so optimistic as to even hope for a million sold - but any number that'd help keep the shop lights on would be great. :-)
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:35:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,

Yeah, congrats, Morris. I'm doing about the same thing with my glare guards, tees, and handy pouches. Every little bit helps.
I missed the original gloat post. Which of your products are you guys referring to?
- DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire. --------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Full Service Web Programming