Update: Modified Bed Design

Ok, I incorporated a few ideas from last time in the latest update of my bed (cherry) project.

I designed the curve from the slats into lower footboard rail. The footboard and headboard cap will have a round over (1/2" radius) that should make it safer. I have a question on my blog that will make more sense after you see the renderings.

Comments welcomed and encouraged (either here or on my blog is fine)

See here on my blog:

you, Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

A mission style bed out of cherry is an interesting combination.

The third rail on the headboard is indeed for strength, to keep the legs from spreading apart. In your case if you make the lower rail/leg joint very sturdy it may not be necessary.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks Chris, that's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. See

for other examples of cherry mission beds. It's quite common.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Very cool.

  1. I would do the inlay work on a blank that will hopefully be the center slat vs trying to do it after the piece is assembled.

  1. I think I would add a cross member inline with the side rails across the back. Not absolutley required but the forces that run through the rails would be much better managed by the frame if it had that cross brace inline withe the forces. Especially if you don't sleep alone...

Will the rails be tenn> Ok, I incorporated a few ideas from last time in the latest update of

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The long rails will connect to the head and footboards by using bed hardware that is inlayed. They mate by hooking one onto the other (rockler/woodcraft sells them). I've used them before for another bed and they work great. I probably will not make the third rail for the footboard, but instead I might make the tenons beefier in the remaining two rails to compensate. The bed is fornmy three year old son, so I think he has a few years before he has any company at night. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I like the way the curve on the lower footboard rail matches the slats. I think it is an improvement. Ken

Reply to
karmstrn

Thanks Ken. That was a suggestion that I received here on the wrec. I do agree that it makes a big difference. It's really amazing how subtle changes can have a dramatic effect.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 22:34:47 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen scrawled the following:

Why did you say that, Chris? Mission/Craftsman furniture was often made of cherry, walnut, or even fruitwood, though the most common was QSWO. Or did I misread the meaning of your query?

Reply to
Larry Jaques