UPDATE -LONGISH- on Stanley guide by John Walter

A while back, AAvK and I were talking about John Walter's Hardcover version of the Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Price Guide. it's been out of print since 1996 and to get one of those you have to sell family into slavery. I've been writing back-and-forth with Mr Walter since 2000 (I think) about his next offering which had been expected a couple of years ago. Blame it on the weather. Here, with his permission, are the two most recent letters from him for general publication so that everybody knows what's going on.

Dave in Fairfax

***************************************************** Thanks for your interest. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was flooded out in Marietta late last year. There was actually 4 feet of water in my store. This major flood also devastated many other businesses and homes in town, as the water came up very fast and took the whole downtown historic district by complete surprise. Luckily we survived without too many losses, in case you were wondering.

Anyways, I have moved to higher ground now, (Summit county in fact) and just in time too. Marietta was hit with another major flood in early

2005, with only 3 feet of water in downtown this time. I think I¹d be ready for the looney bin if I had to go thru that again, yikes! My stuff has been in box¹s most of the winter, spring and I am just now getting back online and slowly getting re-organized here in my old hometown. It¹s easy to grab and go, throwing files, references, everything in box¹s as the water is rushing up around your ankles, and steadily rising. However, it is a very timestaking process to sort everything out. But, things are progressing and coming along...finally, whew!

The big 900 page "Stanley Tools² encyclopedia book is still under extensive revision, and is nearing completion. I hope to have it ready later this year. If you wish to be added to my database and be notified with a flyer/info by snail mail, then by all means, please forward your mailing address so I can be sure to let you know when it is available and send ordering details, etc. when ready to ship.

In the meantime, I have the latest edition of the 2004 Stanley Tools Pocket Price Guide in stock. (270 pages) The cost is $10.00 postpaid, plus $2.00 S&H, Ohio residents please add .75 cents sales tax, per copy. Orders will be shipped promptly! (order 2 copies, save 2 bucks, only $22.00 total, if interested) Sincerely, John My new address is as follows; John Walter The Tool Merchant No. 6135 Ellet Station Akron, Ohio. 44312

P.S. Just unearthed a few full color 1880's vintage Stanley posters I reprinted in 1994 (16 x 22 inches) while moving. They are limited in supply and cost $10 each folded (as they came originally from Stanley when printed) or I can ship rolled in a tube for $14, postpaid. They are clearly marked reprints in the bottom corner, originals easily go for $800.00 and up! These are a great addition to any workshop or office and look great! Due to the backlog of work, please no phone orders at this time. Thank you!

I STILL BUY AND SELL OLD TOOLS

------------------- Dave... Thanks for your enthusiasms. I am not set up yet to accept credit cards, so a check or MO will work. Yes you may publish the letter I sent you in it's entirety. I am still unpacking and getting things re-organized and do not have a retail shop open as of yet. (office almost done) Also while your making an announcement to the group I am more the receptive to any suggestions, new info, comments, etc. of what readers may like to see in the new book. Sincerely, John

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I hate to pick nits, but if it's $10.00 postpaid, what's the $2.00 S&H for?

Reply to
LRod

Even nits need to be picked, and smashed or eaten, yer cherss. I can't tell you that though. I don't do the billing, the sending or much more than the bird dogging. I have only a negative monetary interrest in the goodies that Mr Walter sells. ;-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Dave have you got David E. Heckel's "Stanley Forty-Five" book?

Reply to
AAvK

I don't think so, I've got a lot of books, but I've got a 45 and a pile of irons for it. %-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax