Update - Halloween Yard Art

Well, the older son's family finally decided on the halloween yard art they wanted. I'd gotten a sheet of OSB (just uer $6 for a 4X8' sheet, tax included), so decided to go out and start some sketching.

I'd already scaled the pictures, using a very complicated process. Unless you're a rocket science, most of you probably will not be able to handle the mah on this. I took my engineer scale, use the side that says 60, which I have no idea in the world what it means, but used that for measuring the figures. Came out at 1 on the scale comes close enough to 2" on the wood not to matter. If you haven't got an engineer scae, I'd recommend getting one, mine cost me about $1-2, in an office supply store. Then measured side to side. So if I came up 9 high, and

12 wide, this translates to 18" tall by 24" wide. Works great.

Decided to try what I considered the toughest to draw first.

Had planned on using white latex as a primer and drawing surface. Big lots didn't have any inexpensive enough. OK, no prob, got a quart of yellow. Bah, turned out to be oil base enamel, saving that for power tools. So, made a grid on the wood and picture. Divided the heighth, and witch, of the picture. Then divided the wood in halfs, up, and down. he engineer scale gave 18" wide, and 25" tall, which worked nicely. Started sketching, and when I got lines I liked, went over them with a wide magic marker.

I've read that to avoid copyright infringement your design needs to differ from the copywrited design in a least 7 major ways. Well, no prob there,d that's for sure. The one in the picture looks like it might bite you if you get close enough. My design looks like it's gonna chase you down the road, and if you trip, you'll never be seen again. LOL That wasn't intentional on my part, but just gotta make a change or two. All in all, coming along quite nicely. Now just need to sketch out the other designs they want; cut 'em out, paint 'em. I'm thinking to make them stand, I'll drill one inch holes in some scrap 2X4 and glue two pieces edgewise on the back of each design. The kid found some 1/2" black pipe he'll cut in about 18" or 24" pieces, pound them in the ground, or a bale of straw, slip the pipe thru the holes, should do.

This is actually turning out quite entertaining, and enjoyable. Painting stuff like this is relaxing to me. I think copying someone else's pattern, step-by-step, would be totally unentertaining tho. I think I may try to take picture when I'm done.

J T

Good thing you used the numbers on the "60" as inches instead of what they were meant to be used at. You would have an 18 foot tall by 24 foot wide piece of yard art. Wouldn't the neighbors be jealous.

Would love to see the finished product. 'bout time I build my spiderweb 'tween my two palm trees, only a 10 foot high web using 100 feet of rope.

Dave FL

Reply to
Dave

Good thing you used the numbers on the "60" as inches instead of what they were meant to be used at. You would have an 18 foot tall by 24 foot wide piece of yard art. Wouldn't the neighbors be jealous. think I may try to take picture when I'm done. spiderweb 'tween my two palm trees, only a 10 foot high web using

100 feet of rope.

Any yard art I make that size will be a pukey yard duck. Won't the neighbors be jealous? LOL

You planning on catching cockroaches, eh? LMAO

J T

Last year I overheard some of the trick-or-treaters saying they can only go as far as the spider web. It seems to be a landmark this time of year. My only problem is the damn trees keep getting taller so I have to make it bigger. A large spider from Micheals, neon spraypaint & two blacklights make the full effect at night.

Dave FL

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
WonderMonkey via CraftKB.com

Thu, Oct 4, 2007, 6:16pm (EDT+4) u37947@uwe (WonderMonkey=A0via=A0CraftKB.com) doth sayeth: I have considered taking an image that is small, blowing it way up in Visio, then taking it to Kinko's to get put on large paper. Cut it out then trace it.

Yeah, you could do that. Might as well buy the pattern if you're gonna do that; but yeah, you could. You could also cut the picture out, put it in a slide frame, put some vegetable oil on it to make it translucent, then use a slide projector to project the picture to whatever size you want, then trace. OR, you could wing it, have a bit of fun, and maybe expand your skills a bit, instead. You know what they say, nothing tried, nothing lost.

Just don't go making copies for sale, without proper copywrite owner OK.

J T