Unloading big iron

i've moved some heavy things by putting them on a piece of rug, nap down, and just dragging them.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

It's probably up to the job. Just wrap some straps around it so things don't get away from you. It's basically a balancing act anyway.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Snip

The engine hoist works. Forget chains. Get 2" wide straps, with some 1" wide for times the 2" don't fit. Use pipe for rollers...I got a 20' section cut into 42" lengths, 1". Wish I'd gotten 1-1/4", but otherwise, they are great and cheap.

Good luck.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Old rigger's trick--ice cubes or block ice (depending on the size of the assembly to be moved). Downside is that you need to have the piece completely controlled before you put them in place, because otherwise it's going where it wants to go.

Reply to
J. Clarke

How about more information on what you are hauling? Weight, size, type of machine etc. If you are going to rent a trailer, see if you can find a tilt-bed trailer.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

For the moment, it looks like we've decided against the tent sale. I guess I'd prefer a real warrantee and a slow, careful, sedate experience.

That's about right. I'm after mainly a bandsaw, jointer, and drill press. But I also have no sanding machines. And I know eventually I'll want a bigger planer and a cabinet saw. And since I have the money at the moment, I figured we'd do it all now.

I agree. The whole tent sale thing really looks like I would have to get up early and be an asshole to get what I'm after. I don't really want to do either. And I'd probably have to pay normal price for the machines I'm not fast enough to get on sale. So it's probably not worth it. On one of the other boards, there's a grizzly employee that says that you're likely to get better service and more attention on a different day. An obvious thing I hadn't thought of.

What started the conversation was swmbo complaining about the shipping costs. Then I mentioned that those numbers don't include liftgate service. Then there's all the reports about people having problems getting shippments in one piece. And I may be able to get them to do a setup and inspection before leaving. For one or two machines, it's probably not worth going there, but for five or six, maybe it is. I figured it's about a $700 savings in shipping costs + $300 for liftgate service six times, but maybe $400 lost to sales tax. The big uhaul box trailer is $35 for 24 hours. I bet the flatbed is cheaper. But we also get to see some friends we're not likely to be able to see for a long time. And we get to see the grizzly store, not to mention bass pro. Then I can play with all the machines to see if I think this upgrade or that upgrade is worth it. Then the kids mentioned the st louis arch. I figured we'd make a long weekend out of it.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

rent the trailer there and bring it back. why haul an empty trailer any distance if you don't have to?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Why buy? Can't you rent one?

Reply to
Upscale

one-way rentals cost *a lot* more. Besides, an empty flat bed trailer isn't that much extra gas to tow.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

On 13 Apr 2005 10:40:28 -0700, the inscrutable "brianlanning" spake:

They're rated for 600 lbs and I've had 500 on one, so I know they'll do it. I got the HF model on sale for $20 and have adored it. It makes SO much difference over any other wheel style. I can lift 200 lbs up a short set of stairs on it without any trouble. They're just loverly.

Hint: Air up the tires before each use. The Chinese schrader valves don't retain air as well as they should.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's the wish list:

price, model, name, weight, shipping (without liftgate)

900, h3718,porter cable compressor, 400, 78 625, g0586,jointer, 480, 78 460, g7948,drill press, 312, 78 1100, g1021z,planer, 540, 130 600, g1071,spindle sander, 300, 78 600, g0512,edge sander, 250, 78 1700, g5959z,table saw, 635, 130 425, g0555,14" band saw, 210, 58 1600, g0566,21" band saw, 684, 155

It's over budget by a lot though. I'll probably have to skip the cabinet saw and choose between the bandsaws. And I'd still be missing an air filter, miter saw, and 3.5hp router for a table. I'm also torn between these grizzly tools and some other yorkcraft/bridgewood/sunhill choices. Then there's that variable speed delta DP for around $700. And what about the performax 16/32? :-) It never ends.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

You might hire a local with a Bobcat that has a fork lift attachment.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

I moved my entire shop myself with a piece of 3/4" plywood and a furniture dolly. Granted, none of it is industrial sized-equipment, but the dolly only cost about $40 and claims to support 600#. The plywood was used as a makeshift ramp. The only problem I had was slipping on the icy drive at one point, and falling on my back with my lathe landing on my knee- that certainly didn't feel nice, but the dolly kept falling *slowly*, so I didn't shatter my kneecap or hurt the lathe. No buddies or beer needed- though it may have made the afternoon more fun. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

When I bought my 1023 used, a friend and I took the fence off, took the top and wings off, took the motor off and I went home by myself. Now, I'm still spry and don't have a bad back, but the worst part was the cabinet/trunnion and I just bear-hugged it and set it on the ground. If you've got even one person to help, I don't think it would be too much of a problem to just hurry up and unload the stuff (bad back notwithstanding).

At any rate, a dolly wouldn't be a bad purchase and would certainly give you a huge advantage. Good luck.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM