Unloading big iron

Page 2 of 2

For the moment, it looks like we've decided against the tent sale. I guess I'd prefer a real warrantee and a slow, careful, sedate experience.

That's about right. I'm after mainly a bandsaw, jointer, and drill press. But I also have no sanding machines. And I know eventually I'll want a bigger planer and a cabinet saw. And since I have the money at the moment, I figured we'd do it all now.

I agree. The whole tent sale thing really looks like I would have to get up early and be an asshole to get what I'm after. I don't really want to do either. And I'd probably have to pay normal price for the machines I'm not fast enough to get on sale. So it's probably not worth it. On one of the other boards, there's a grizzly employee that says that you're likely to get better service and more attention on a different day. An obvious thing I hadn't thought of.

What started the conversation was swmbo complaining about the shipping costs. Then I mentioned that those numbers don't include liftgate service. Then there's all the reports about people having problems getting shippments in one piece. And I may be able to get them to do a setup and inspection before leaving. For one or two machines, it's probably not worth going there, but for five or six, maybe it is. I figured it's about a $700 savings in shipping costs + $300 for liftgate service six times, but maybe $400 lost to sales tax. The big uhaul box trailer is $35 for 24 hours. I bet the flatbed is cheaper. But we also get to see some friends we're not likely to be able to see for a long time. And we get to see the grizzly store, not to mention bass pro. Then I can play with all the machines to see if I think this upgrade or that upgrade is worth it. Then the kids mentioned the st louis arch. I figured we'd make a long weekend out of it.
brian

rent the trailer there and bring it back. why haul an empty trailer any distance if you don't have to?

one-way rentals cost *a lot* more. Besides, an empty flat bed trailer isn't that much extra gas to tow.
brian
Is the garage the final resting place of the machines? If so, you and a friend can wrestle them around the garage using the various sliding, rocking, levering methods already mentioned. If you have to move them some distance to the shop, consider one of U-Haul's appliance dolly's (the one with the strap). I used it to move the 15" planer and the 1023 from the garage to the shop. I carried the jointer base down myself and got a friend to help me carry the top.
When it comes time to assemble the jointer, flip the base over and loosen the motor mount bolts before you put the jointer on the base. Because the jointer was already on the base at the time I had to use a half inch impact wrench to loosen them.
SteveP.

For now. We may move again some day. My plan is to make my own large mobile bases for the machines with large casters. I want the machines a little higher (I'm 6'5") and the big caster would make moving them a snap later. I can also see getting the urge to try out new shop arrangements later. And I'd like to be able to get a car in the garage so I can work on it in the winter if need be.
brian
As mentioned: rental truck equipped with lift gate (usually rated for 2000 pounds) and an appliance hand truck plus a mover's dolly, like: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber486. Some mover's dollies at Lowes, HD, or Northern Tool have slightly larger casters and higher load rating (and higher price). Helped a family member move his shop recently and the combo worked great. Only real effort is tipping up the machines to get the dollies under them. (Sloped driveways can add an element of effort and danger, if extreme.)
David Merrill

i've moved some heavy things by putting them on a piece of rug, nap down, and just dragging them.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Old rigger's trick--ice cubes or block ice (depending on the size of the assembly to be moved). Downside is that you need to have the piece completely controlled before you put them in place, because otherwise it's going where it wants to go.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
brianlanning wrote:

Snip
wide for times the 2" don't fit. Use pipe for rollers...I got a 20' section cut into 42" lengths, 1". Wish I'd gotten 1-1/4", but otherwise, they are great and cheap.
Good luck.
How about more information on what you are hauling? Weight, size, type of machine etc. If you are going to rent a trailer, see if you can find a tilt-bed trailer.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Here's the wish list:
price, model, name, weight, shipping (without liftgate) 900, h3718,porter cable compressor, 400, 78 625, g0586,jointer, 480, 78 460, g7948,drill press, 312, 78 1100, g1021z,planer, 540, 130 600, g1071,spindle sander, 300, 78 600, g0512,edge sander, 250, 78 1700, g5959z,table saw, 635, 130 425, g0555,14" band saw, 210, 58 1600, g0566,21" band saw, 684, 155
It's over budget by a lot though. I'll probably have to skip the cabinet saw and choose between the bandsaws. And I'd still be missing an air filter, miter saw, and 3.5hp router for a table. I'm also torn between these grizzly tools and some other yorkcraft/bridgewood/sunhill choices. Then there's that variable speed delta DP for around $700. And what about the performax 16/32? :-) It never ends.
brian

Why buy? Can't you rent one?
You might hire a local with a Bobcat that has a fork lift attachment.
Don Dando

I moved my entire shop myself with a piece of 3/4" plywood and a furniture dolly. Granted, none of it is industrial sized-equipment, but the dolly only cost about $40 and claims to support 600#. The plywood was used as a makeshift ramp. The only problem I had was slipping on the icy drive at one point, and falling on my back with my lathe landing on my knee- that certainly didn't feel nice, but the dolly kept falling *slowly*, so I didn't shatter my kneecap or hurt the lathe. No buddies or beer needed- though it may have made the afternoon more fun. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam