UNIT Table saw?

Page 1 of 2
Hiya Folks, Well I had my mind made up to purchase the 1023SL from Grizzly before year's end to avoid the increase in prices. A gentleman at work mentioned he had his FIL's saw in his garage and wanted to get rid of it. I've not seen the saw. He gave me some details: Saw is made in China by a company called UNIT. weighs around 500lbs, has the wings, extensions, 10", etc....
Has anyone heard of such a beast? Thanks much, jlc

So it's a UNIT-saw, eh?
Assuming your co-worker is not confused, and that really *is* the brand name, it kinda sounds like the manufacturer (or the importer) is hoping to piggyback on the reputation of the Delta Unisaw by attaching a sound-alike name to an obviously inferior product.
If that's the case, I think I'd stay away...

Yes, Ralph did. He had a Unitsaw and coverted it to a bigger motor or something.
Got me curious So I did some googling on variations of UNIT. I found a company called Weinig that brands some of their power tools "Unimat" If you need a serious machine for high volume production work check them out.
Unimats http://www.weinig.com/eng/e_us4.html http://www.weinig.com/eng/e_u3000.html
And a "Twin double" resaw band Saw http://www.weinig.com/eng/e_trenn.html
Fun, to just read about some of this stuff.

Brikp wrote:

Those things are so far out of my league I can't even quite figure out what they're supposed to do. :)

I saw an ad in the paper by someone looking for a "10 inch unit". I'm not sure if this is the same thing though...
Frank
Could be one to step away from, but I would give it a look first, perhaps his description is wrong. Alot depends on the price! Greg

year's
wanted
I have seen tools out of Taiwan & China that appear identical except for the nameplate. My Grizzly 12" sander appears identical to the HF sander. I am told that the quality varies with the specs - something hard for the consumer to check. Is the saw a contractor saw? If it is, the motor is easy to replace. Can you check the flatness of the table? Can you evaluate the rip fence - a weak point of most OE parts? Do you have a dial indicator to check arbor and blade runout?
Thanks folks for all the opinions. I was thinking of taking a look at it but with the holidays upon us, I'm not sure I'll have time. He's asking $400 and the way he describes it, it is a cabinet saw. I have to wonder if he's looking at the motor plate id and coming up with this name but unless I take a look at it I'll never know. Was just hoping someone had heard of this brand somewhere along the way. Thanks much, jlc

Just curious - but if you decide to pass on it - where is it located?

What is the price of this thing? In needs to be pretty cheap to overcome uncertainty, lack of warranty and Grizzly's product support which, in my experience is pretty good. I wouldn't trade my 1023S for a cheaper pig-in-a-poke unless I thouroughly undurstood what I was getting.
Maybe not even then.
I agree. He said he'd let it go for $400. I think I'll ask to see it and go from there. I have to agree that having customer service on the hook for problems etc....and knowing exactly what I'm getting is probably worth the extra cash. I do think I'll try to check it out though. Who knows, maybe he needs glasses and it really is a "Unisaw" and not a "Unit Saw". Cheers, cc

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Yeah, if it does, and you get it for $400, then the rest of us are going to have to drive over and throw poly and Minwhacks stain all over you.
Who knows, maybe he needs glasses and it really is a "Unisaw" and

Yes. That would really change things - if it is in good condition.
RonB responds:

Ya know, my mind is aging, but somewhere in its dark recesses, I seem to recall UA100, in one guise or another, playing the UnitSaw game a few years ago.
Could be wrong. According to my wife, I often am.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

She ever allows that you're NOT?
Silvan esponds:

When there are at least 13 witnesses swearing what I say is true. Of course, that's offset by one ignorant twit from her church saying I'm wrong (not on church matters: this guy said the water pump was shaft driven off the fan on a car we once had--4 cylinder sideways engine with an electrical fan).
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

She was right, obviously. So was her friend. That's just the way it works. You're just jealous because you're not the guy holding the patent on the shaft driven water pump powered by an electric fan.
Silvan responds:

I want a patent on that SHAFT, man! The fan sat on an inner fender, cocked at an angle to the radiator, so even reaching the water pump would have been impossible. Not to mention the motor was smaller than my fist, so would have had a devil of a time driving anything other than the fan.
Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer
Charlie Self wrote:

It uses next generation polytranscendentalphysiomototransmissivity technology, obviously. Didn't SWMBO tell you that?
(I once had an argument with a dealership chief mechanic about where to put the spark plugs on a diesel engine.)