Unisaw Wait Update

Page 1 of 2
FWIW...
Got a much anticipated call today to let me know that my Unisaw has arrived and is ready for pickup. Man, it already seems like Friday will never get here...
Thanks again to all of you who weighed in on my dilemma. Certainly didn't want to create the ruckus that I did, but I did appreciate all the points of view...and the sanity check. I talked to my sales guy today and he said we could talk about making up for the delay on Friday when I pick the saw up...and my new mortiser (a freebie).
Guess I'm now off to DAGS on the best practises for setting this beast up.
Thanks again, Rob
Rob, here are some tips I got for putting mine together:
Tony Collums wrote: > > Dave, > > Congrats, > > Just a couple of assembly hints I give all my customers. > > > > 1) Assemble the mobile base first the take saw body off of skid and place in > > MB. > > > > 2) It may not say in the manual, but make sure that you put the switch on > > before assembling the rails to the saw. Taking them back off is real > > frustrating and aggravating. > > > > 3) Since your going to be on a mobile base, don't follow the layout pattern > > for the legs. The manual assumes that your not going to have a mobile base. > > > > 4) When attaching the cast iron wings to the saw, level the center first > > then the outer edges. Just make sure that nothing is higher than the saw > > table itself. If the wings are a little low, it will not hurt a thing other > > than your fence make a slight bumping sound when you move across it. Use the > > same on the extension table. > > > > 5) Make sure that you tighten the belts, they are not tensioned at the > > plant. This is done to save unnecessary jarring on the bearings during > > shipment. > > > > 6)When installing the blade for the first time, don't be surprised if it's > > not a little difficult. Delta machines the arbor and face flange with the > > carriage and bearings already installed for accuracy (no one else does > > this). There can sometimes be a few burrs left. Take some 150 or 180 grit > > sandpaper and wrap it around the arbor and turn the arbor, you will not > > damage the arbor. What ever you do, do not try to force the blade on. You > > could create a bigger problem. Just be patient. Put your hat on straight and > > put a little hair around the hole. It will go on. > > > > 7) Count all of your fingers, plug it in, turn it on, have fun, recount > > fingers, if the number is the same, you had a successful day. If not, check > > the floor, call the wife and go to the doctor. Make sure he puts on a water > > proof bandage so you can wash it off when your hands get dirty while in the > > shop next time. > > > > Best of luck, > > > > Tony Collums > > snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net
dave

<snip>
Thanks Dave...that will come in quite handy. I'm sure getting the saw into the mobile base will be nothing but fun.
Thanks again, Rob
Believe it or not, Rob, getting in to the mobile base was a piece of cake. Seriously. slide it off the pallet right onto the mobile base. the pallet is higher than the mobile base, so it's no big deal. Getting the right side table flush with the right wing is another story. That's where I spent most of my time during assembly.
Boy, what a kick when you first hit the power switch and feel that sucker engage. A lot more impressive than my wimpy old Crapsman that I unloaded on a neighbor (who is happy with it, lucky for both of us).
dave
Rob Walters wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:36:59 -0500, Rob Walters

Was that a drive-by? <G>
Barry
Sounded that way. Are we talking stand-alone benchtop mortiser, or drill press attachment?

We're talking benchtop Delta Deluxe Mortiser. Guess having to wait pays off :)
So, does that qualify as a drive-by?
Rob
Bet you are glad you didn't listen to the loose cannons! :)
dave
Rob Walters wrote:

ok, here it comes big time, . . . . . . .
YOU SUCK.....
good luck and have fun this weekend with your new toys :)
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:14:30 -0500, "Rob Walters"

Why yes, you do SUCK! <G>
Barry
Rob Walters wrote:

Hey Rob, I was poking around your web site. Very nice!
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:52:28 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Thanks! Still a bit of a noob but trying to learn as much as I can. The web site is a way for friends, family, and those with too much time on their hands :) to keep up with what I'm up to. Luckily, I don't have any professional woodworkers in my family, so I don't have to put up with much criticism :) The problem with websites is that once you start 'em, you can't stop, lest those who visit the site regularly get huffy with you. When I thought about shutting down my vintage arcade game/pinball collecting site I damn near got mailbombed. Its amazing how many people will actually find your little niche on the web sometimes.
But thanks again for the kind words! Between your compliment and my first official "you suck!" its been a banner day! :)
Rob
Rob Walters wrote:

Ah yes, pinball! I had a Bally Fathom I should have never gotten rid of!! These are some very old photos. Bike shop, wood shop and pinball shop. See anything familiar?? http://www.bunchobikes.com/shop.htm Trust me, my shop is looking much better and tidy-er these days!! Some more: http://www.bunchobikes.com/nightrider.htm My main site: http://www.bunchobikes.com Wouldn't mind having a good camera like you. Maybe jump back into the "html" and make it prettier lookin'!
On 18 Feb 2004 21:49:09 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
snip

Your site reminds me of a friend I used to hang around with years ago when I lived on the East side of the SF Bay area. He had tons of old pre-war bikes that he fixed up and we had a group that used to ride the East Bay Hills when they were called "Balloonie" bikes. My project was an old Cleveland Welding Works "Road Master" that I fixed up with Cook's Brothers leading axle forks and a front drum brake (can't remember the brand). I believe the frame is a 30's or so vintage. Although not restored to it's original vintage, it was and still is a great bike.
Allyn
Allyn Vaughn wrote:

biking. Mostly north of the bay, but up in the bay area. Schwinn really missed the boat on that and BMX bikes. Gotta love them cool old ballooners!!
On 19 Feb 2004 14:38:00 EST, Mark and Kim Smith

About 1976 and up. If you are familiar with the East Bay, we had "Home" rides in Tilden Park, the quarry in El Cerrito, and Redwood Park up on top of Skyline in Oakland. Used to have anywhere from 2 to 10 guys and gals take a truck up the hill and then ride down to another truck waiting at the bottom. (We were lazy! and only would use the single gear with kick-back brakes). That was also before the days of micro-brews, but that didn't stop us either. Never did Mt. Tam, but Mt. Diablo was a great ride with it's vertical drop.
Allyn
Allyn Vaughn wrote:

sister in San Rafael for some time. Sounds like it was a blast! Bet you just cooked those hubs!!
On 19 Feb 2004 14:38:00 EST, Mark and Kim Smith

At least Schwinn eventually caught on, how about Campagnolo? <G>
Talk about missing the boat! Even Colnago eventually came out with a mountain bike!
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

some folk who buy a full suspension mountain bike........so they can ride up and down the sidewalk all day on their way to work!

Eight Ball...very nice! Backglass looks to be in really nice shape. I had more pins in the 90's genre...much to my chagrin. Too many damn moving parts. As for picture quality, I have to give that credit to my wife...she's the photographer. If I had taken all the pics I'd have to keep cropping my thumb out of them.
Here's my old arcade site if you're interested... http://www.arcadeobsession.com
Rob