unisaw throat plate

Page 1 of 2
i am looking for a throat plate for my unisaw i remember Norm had an aluminum one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use?
On 2/22/2013 5:21 PM, James engstrom wrote:

I just make 'em as needed from scrap material--if they're for something that's going to see a lot of projected use, then hardwood or maybe something laminated; if just a one-off, any ol' thing'll work just fine.

"James engstrom" wrote in message
i am looking for a throat plate for my unisaw i remember Norm had an aluminum one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use? ============================================================================================================================Your Google must be defective. http://tinyurl.com/b7dc7ct
On 2/22/2013 6:44 PM, CW wrote:

=============================================================================================================================

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
Jeff

On 2/22/2013 5:44 PM, CW wrote:

=============================================================================================================================

Close, sorta, kinda but I didn't see what I think that James is looking for; an insert that has replaceable zero clearance center inserts.
I've got one in the shop for my Jet Cabinet saw that I bought (99% sure) at the local Woodcraft store about five years ago. Red anodized aluminum frame with little spring loaded balls to help keep it snug and adjustable (hex key) headless screws to level it.
Then, mounted therein is a phenolic plate which forms the zero-clearance part. I THINK I may have the manufacturer's name out in the shop if I look hard enough. If you can't dig it up at Woodcraft, etc. let me know and I try to find it (the manufacturer's name)for you.
FWIW, I do recall that the packaging was rather minimalist - kinda like you'd expect if some machinist had some spare time on a CNC rig and figured to make make a buck or two or three.
I THINK that a Unisaw plate was one of the models offered.
Only thing that I see on Woodcraft presently is:
<http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000909/31917/delta-unisaw-zeroclearance-dado-insert.aspx
On 2/22/2013 5:21 PM, James engstrom wrote:

one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use?

IIRC those were discontinued long ago.
On 2/22/2013 6:21 PM, James engstrom wrote:

one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use?

I use MDF with a formica laminate.
I also picked up a cheap plastic (milk container like plastic) cutting board.
Ply wood.
Whatever you use put a finish on it to make it smooth, make 3 at least. one zero clearance one for a dado one for angled cuts.
--
Jeff

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:21:46 -0800 (PST), James engstrom

one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Clearance-Inserts-for-Delta-Unisaw-table-saw-accessories-/321076708386

Lee Valley sells one that probably could use wooden inserts: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pU985&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/22/2013 8:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

There you go, James. That's the same one that I have for my Jet. When needed, I'll just run some white oak scraps through the planer to get the proper thickness.
I should have read the damn thread in order and saved the time.
Thanks, Puckdropper!
P.S. Those puppies have really gotten dear. Don't think mine was a close-out item at Woodcraft, but it could have been. Think I paid less than $40 for mine 5 or 6 years back.

Daxxxx!!! I guess. Almost $100 for something that takes <5 min to make from scrap/leftovers...that's nonsense.

I suppose it depends on whether he has a band saw or not. The insert can probably be made on a table saw.
On 2/23/2013 10:05 AM, Pat wrote:

True, but the beauty of the one described is that the replacement pieces are a simple rectangle. Once you get the thickness down, it's a breeze to cut a dozen and have them waiting in the wings. No worries about leveling them, etc. Still, for $85...<g>

I've cut plenty of them out on a cheap scroll saw. You can also use a jig saw, router, or even by hand with a coping saw or fret saw. Rip to width first on the table saw and then you only have to cut the curve at each end.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On 2/23/2013 10:05 AM, Pat wrote:

All it would take is a jigsaw and rasp/file and about 10-15 minutes instead of 5...
Or, spend a little longer and route out a center section for the inserts if one is really that serious that want them that way.
The LV one is just ridiculously overpriced im(nsh)o...at a third of that I'd still balk.

What I do is cut rectangular blanks on the table saw, slightly oversized, then cut the rounded corners on the bandsaw, slightly oversized, then final cut using a template bit on the router table (the original insert is the template).
I make them up in batches and my last batch has lasted for years.
On 2/23/2013 9:55 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote: ...

Dang!! Why in the world haven't I ever thought of it (in 50-something years!) Good catch--use patterns all the time but for some reason when make one of these end up doing it by hand automatically w/o thinking about having a pattern already at the ready...
On 2/24/2013 10:09 AM, dpb wrote:

But the original plate is loose in the access hole.
I put a bullet catch in mine. But next time I will cut to exact size on the sides, easily measurable. And calculate the radius, and make one master. Then do the rest as a pattern of that. Much easier since the bullet catches are expensive these days, and also need to be countersunk to just the right depth.
--
Jeff

On 2/24/2013 9:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:

The PM Model 66 plates fit well other than they dado plate they gave me obviously was the one for a different saw--the cutout is wrong. I didn't notice for long enough I never got a replacement. Was just looking yesterday while cutting the notches for the chair repair of earlier thread and decided ought to try to cut out the offending area--the cut is right left/right, just not long enough towards the rear for clearance...

googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else d o people use?''
Check out Charles Neil's site:
http://www.cn-woodworking.com/zero-clearance-reference/
On the other hand, I've been making my own inserts for years. I use 1/2" Baltic Birch with small screws in the ends for height adjustment. The screws that work best are the same that I use for Blum cup hinges.