Unisaw Table Quality

I just got a Unisaw from Woodworker's Supply. I did my research for quite awhile before buying it and am happy with what I got so far. But I have a question. I bought a Veritas straightedge and checked the top and the wings and the top alone is off by up to .005" in some places, and off .001-.003 in many places. Is this normal and should I not worry about it, or should I contact Delta for a replacement?

Russell

Reply to
Anon

Does the saw cut wood like you want?

Reply to
Leon

Russell - do yourself a favor and read less about Veritas straight edges, .001" flatness, and all the other stuff that just doesn't matter to a work that is precise to orders of magnitude greater than that, and just enjoy your tools. You're going to give yourself an ulcer boy.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Can you be absolutely sure it's not the straightedge?

What Leon said ... if the cuts are accurate, strongly consider going with it. The first miniscule bits of pitch, or sweat mixed with sawdust, or worse, that sticks to the top will make bigger peaks and valleys than that.

However, do call Delta and see what they say. It can't hurt registering your concerns, will get you on record early if it does cause you a problem, and will let them know that their customers are still concerned about quality ... you never know what cumulative effect it may have it enough folks take the time.

Reply to
Swingman

You're going to have to pull it out and relay the concrete floor.

If you're chasing accuracy at _that_ level, you start to care about how stable the floor is through the seasons, how rigid the cabinet is, and how the top is fastened down to the cabinet. By fooling with the bolts underneath the table you can probably put a couple of thou of twist in and out of it.

I also doubt you can use a Veritas straight edge to this accuracy. For that sort of measurement you need a 6" deep cast iron girder straight edge, just to stop the straightedge from drooping.

Stop worrying. This is woodworking not optics. A few thou really is neither here nor there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

At the level of accuracy you are measuring we have to reflect on our craft. Are we building furniture and wood crafts, or parts for aircraft and space vehicles?

I was in aerospace for 35 years and +/- .02 was good enough for many parts. The saw you have could probably cut wood to near this accuracy.

I agree with others - there are plenty of opportunities for ulcers in life but this isn't one of them. Enjoy your new machine.

Reply to
RonB

top alone is off by up to .005" in some

Russell, I don't know if it will help but I can relay my experience in setting up my Unisaw. I too have a Veritas straigedge and I did the same test as you after I added the extension wings. My precision was measured not in units of .001" but in how much light was showing through (subjective at best). There were several areas where there was absolutely no light and there were some "dips" in the table where there was a fingernail thickness of light shining through. The straighedge was able to show me that one of my extension wings was "falling away" a bit towards the back outside corner. I loosened the bolt, stuck a piece of drywall tape folded in half between the extension wing and the table on the underside to shim it up - problem solved.

I thought about the "dips" for a few minutes and how the ways that they might impact any cuts that I make. I then started running some wood through it and checking for variations in flatness and squareness that I could attribute to those pesty dips (with a very critical eye I might add as my wallet was still recovering from the purchase). I was able to detect absolutely none and subsequently banished further consideration of them from my mind. After running a lot of wood through it I can tell you that I have noticed not one dimensional variation that was not clearly caused by another factor.

Bottom line and my $0.02 - don't worry about it and start cutting stuff and marveling at the level of repeatable accuracy that your new saw provides to you.

Hope it helps . . .

Reply to
Larry Fox

In 97 I bought a brand new Powermatic cabinet saw. It was a real disappointment. The first top had miter gauge slots that were not parallel to each other. The second top had a huge dip around the throat plate. The third top had miter slots that were different sizes. The fourth top that they sent worked. The saw is still going strong in a cabinet shop that my partner runs but what a nightmare each time we replaced the top. WE had the huge Laguna sliding table mounted and each time we replaced the top we had to remount and align the Laguna. Those good old boys at the factory did not seem to care. I have used saws with tops out 30 or more thousands and the results were still excellent work. This is woodworking, wood moves. The top you have should be fine. max

Reply to
max
0.015" is a typical manufacturer's tolerance for saw table flatness. You're fine.
Reply to
Kent

Thanks for all your replies, guys. I just didn't want to get something substandard after paying so much. I will let Delta know and leave it at that.

Russell

Reply to
russellfletcher