UniSaw Qusetions

I have a chance of picking up a used Delta UniSaw from a local millwork shop that is closing one of their locations. It is probably about 10 to 15 years old and it looks well cared for. It has a UniFence and an extension table.
What kind of things should I be looking out for on a machine like this that has been used commercially. I will not have the opportunity to dismantle it to check deeply. I only have simple measuring tools, machinist squares, a dial indicator, etc - nothing fancy. Can anyone reccomend a simple check-out routine that will give me an idea if the machine is in good shape or not? How do I find out the year it was manufactured?
The person in charge of liquidating the tools does not know the electrical specs. How do I tell if it is 110 or 220 and single phase vs. 3 phase?
Thanks in advance, Chuck

Listen for arbor bearing noise, realizing that they can be replaced.
Indicate on the arbor face and look for excessive runnout. should be less than .0005
Crank through the full tilt and elevation checking for smoothness or excessive backlash.
Attach your dial indicator to a miter bar (if you can) and run it through the slot indicating on a good blade outside the tooth area looking for heel. Should be no more than .005 at 90 and should not degrade to more than about .020 at 45. This can be adjusted but you do not want the difference to be more than about .015 or so. This is not a perfect measurement because a blade is involved. It is done at the factory with a gage plate attached to the arbor.
Better yet adjust the fence parallel to the miter slot and rip a piece of hard oak looking for burn
Check table flatness. straight edge and feeler gage. hardest direction to control is across the insert opening. Look for .010 max on the table going to .030 max across two wings if you have them.
If the millwork shop was doing good work with it it is probably a good saw. Takes more than 10-15 years to wear one out.
How do I find out the year it was

In that time frame (last ten to fifteen years) the first two digits of the serial number indicates the year. the next is a letter that indicates the month (A=Jan, Bb, etc). If you can't figure it out, call Delta customer service, they can tell you

All Unisaws built in that time frame were at least 220 single phase Electrical specs should be on the serial plate and the motor plate. Serial plate on the back right top area.

"Chuck" wrote in message

Crank it up and cut some wood with it ... nothing simpler.
If the price is anywhere reasonable, buy it before someone else does ... my bet is that you'll kick yourself in the butt later if you pass it up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05