Unisaw Periodic maintenance questions

Since we've been discussing the various possibilities of delivering Teflon and wax to the inner workings of cabinet saws, and have pretty well covered that subject, I've become aware that I know less than I'm comfortable with regarding maintaining 'the center of my woodworking shop'.

Cleaning and sharpening blades I understand.

Cleaning and waxing the table has been covered pretty completely.

Alignment issues have been pretty well thrashed and trashed.

Cleaning out what the DC doesn't get from underneath seems pretty straight forward.

What else needs to be considered, and how frequently? (Miles and/or months?)

I've got a LT Uni, new two years ago, in a hobbyist shop. I run it three or four sessions a week. Maybe an hour, total time...

Awaiting enlightenment..

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Maybe some day the bearings in the motor and arbor will finally give out but given the use frequency I'd guess it would be from age/drying out and not use.

Belts, probably the same thing/might even survive until you hand it down to your granddaughter.

Keep it clean, do the maintenance you've already listed and it will perform better than you will in the coming decades. Mine is fifteen years older than me and I wish I was half as good looking as it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Keith, keep in mind your saw had an "Extreme Makeover". I'm sure with a little bead blasting... ;-)

Nova

Nova:

Yahbut, considering the saw had been in the hands of "I don't know how many people" and they did "I don't know what (unmentionable things) to it", I'd think that anyone buying a machine today for their use, should be able to keep it a little nice looking for many years to come.

Me? All I did was give it back it's dignity and replace it back to where it should have been maintained all along, with respect.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

To be perfectly honest with you you do not need to do much....

My Cabinet Saw (a Jet) is now close to 15 years old... and besides cleaning out the cabinet every 6 months of so (always on a rainny misserable day) IF between projects and checking everything under the hood (belts, sawdust buildup in the ajjustment mechanism etc I do not do anything....

I keep the table top waxed and do "dust" the top off at the end of each work day.. but that is mostly because I enjoy walking into a clean neat shop every morning ... Same reason I never go to bed with a mess in the Kitchen sink ...who wants to "start" the day with a mess...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.