unisaw arborbearings

one or both bearings of my unisaw arbor gave up the ghost . I ordered new bearings ,spacers ,preload spring etc total was $130+.they wanted $45 for a set of 3 drive belts, I got them locally for $15 , what a Delta ridoff.....mjh

Greg
Next time ask..... http://www.sawcenter.com/unisawparts.htm
mike hide wrote:

Typical of any replacement part, be it a small appliance or heavy industrial equipment. Recently needed a $5 seal for a valve. The machine supplier that the valve was on could not sell me a rebuild kit, only a $600 valve. You have to find local sources for stuff like that. I can give you hundreds of examples.
My comment is to get a "matched" set of belts. These are cut off the roll next to each other so they are the same size. Most knowledgeable places that sell belts can set you up. That way all of them pull the same.

I know matched belts are important if they are running on the same arbor/pulley, but does it matter if they are in series? Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What could they then be matching????
The truth of the matter is even with a matched set of belt there are typically two belt doing the brunt of the work while the other (third) is running a wee bit slack.
I have spoken with Unisaw owners who have run just two belts at a time and they don't notice any change.
Still, I prefer to run with the three (matched set) but that's just me.
UA100
Eventually, all three belts will be working. The belts doing the most work will soon stretch until they are all working together. It doesn't take very long. max

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Well, max already answered this...

Unless they really load the saw, it's unlikely they would notice any real difference w/ just one...the multiple belts are there for the times when one really needs the extra power transmitting capability and very little of the time is a saw used for such cuts...but when it is, it's vital.
I'd never think of cutting back on such a trivial cost item on my PM Model 66...a set of quality belts will last almost indefinitely if they're not mistreated in a average shop. Even in a commercial shop they'll last <a long time> (TM).

Might I recommend something along the lines of the Gates PowerBand? http://www.gates.com/index.cfm?location_id102
The benefits include very closely matched belts, even load distribution, somewhat quieter operation. I think you'll also see longer belt life ... based on experience and the fact that the load is evenly distributed ... one belt can't carry the majority of the load and fail prematurely.
The downside is you can't be a cheap tightwad and only replace the one belt that broke, knowing full well you will replace another belt in the near future ... but that's not a technical issue as much as it is a lifestyle issue.
Hint ... if you hear belts screaming when you turn the machine on, you MIGHT need to consider some sort of soft-start or VFD control. Belt life gets extended well into the "replace it because it's starting to dry-rot" stage.
HTH
Rick
Not if the have individual adjustments.