Unfriggin' believably OT

Has anyone tried Sam Adams Black Lager yet?

It's really, really good. If you like SA Cream Stout, you'll like this.

Back to the wood...

Reply to
Ba r r y

Not yet. My friggin grocery store sucks. I'm lucky if they have a six'er of Sam Adams cherry wheat (mmmm, good). They always seem to have plenty of Bud light , miller light, coors light, piss-water light and all the other red neck beers though.

Too bad table saws and beer don't mix.

Reply to
stoutman

Stop your whining. At least your grocery stores stock beer, whatever type they may have. The closest beer our Canadian grocery stores stock is "near beer" with .01% alcohol.

Reply to
Upscale

If it is made by Budweiser, Miller or Coors, it's not beer.

Maybe the output of a discontented horse, but not beer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used to tell my co-workers... Old Milwaukee is short for "stagnant water from a rusty toilet in the slums of old milwaukee".

Joe

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

It never ceases to amaze me that light beer became popular. Always thought it tasted like water with a little beer flavoring added.

Reply to
CW

On Sat 25 Jun 2005 08:29:32a, Joe_Stein wrote in news:0%cve.12761$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Back when I lived in the boonies of west central Wisconsin, we called it Homeowner Beer. Before you got married and bought a house, you bought what you liked best. After a few house payments and/or maintenance projects, you switched to Ol' Mil. It was ALWAYS on sale.

Reply to
Dan

Oh Dave?

Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Magic Hat, Rogue River, Brooklyn, Ipswitch, etc... ARE American beers.

Maybe that needs to change to "mass market" American beers?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

That stuff ranks right up there with a whole bunch of beers that fortunately are no longer with us.

Believe it or not you can find that goat urine here in SoCal.

There was a time when Old Style was a pretty decent beer.

Don't have a clue what it is like today.

Any comments from those in Milwaukee?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We took a tour of the old G. Heileman Brewing Company in LaCrosse, WI last year. That's where the GOOD Old Style was brewed using their artesian water supply.

Heileman's is no more. They sold the name (only) to Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee and Miller brews according to their own recipe and uses the Old Style name.

Learned this is common practice throughout the industry.

The old G. Heileman brewery? Now making Arizona Ice Tea and a couple different malt liquors, etc.

Sorry to disillusion you

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Miller is/was part of Phillip Morris.

My understanding is they sold the whole Miller thing to a South African Brewing conglomerate and got out of the beer business.

When Heilman was owned by the Aussie (Alan something, was an America's Cup racer for OZ when they had it in Fremantle), he probably bought the labels of at least 100 local breweries, then operated them as you suggest.

Do they still have the Old Style signs in front of all the neighborhood bars in Milwaukee or is that also gone?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't know, Lew. Don't get up to MKE that often and really haven't paid much attention to the beer signs in those neighborhoods with the local bars. Pretty sure we have some folks on the rec who live in or near MKE who can address that.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Somehow I thought you were in the Milwaukee area.

If not Milwaukee, where are you?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In IL just south of the border - about 60 mi NW of Chicago and about the same distance SW of MKE.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have a faint rememberance from a month or two back that the "Old Style" brewery was being demolished. While it was abandoned but not flattened, a vintage bottle collector (don't laugh - we collect planes) was killed on the site, when part of it collapsed on him.

Reply to
Andy Dingley