Unfortunate Attempt To Remove A Dent - What Now?

Page 2 of 2
"abby" wrote:
| A table top under construction fell over and got a tiny nick. | The water and heat trick didn't remove it. I didn't want to | fill it or leave it so I sanded down around it. Now I have a

Two choices:
1) Flip it over and use bottom for the top.
2) Take it to a drum sanding shop
They can sand it flat in no time, probably removing less than 3/64" unless it is really screwed up.
Have fun.
Lew
--WebTV-Mail-6842-10005 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
3 x 24 " sander !!!!
Jr
--WebTV-Mail-6842-10005 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-6842-10005--
| Hi, | | I made a error and could use some opinions. | | A table top under construction fell over and got a tiny nick. | The water and heat trick didn't remove it. I didn't want to | fill it or leave it so I sanded down around it. Now I have a | shallow dish at most 1/32" deep and about 2" x 3" in my | table top. It isn't noticeable but you can feel it if you run your | hand over it. Also, a glass or cup will not sit properly on it. | I wish I'd left the nick in there.
I should add a 2 1/2 to my list of 5... replace the problem board by ripping the top on the table saw, jointing the cut edges, and gluing it up with a new board in place. You might want to take a quarter inch off each end and reshape the edges rather than try to blend the new board into the existing ones.
...another tip based on experience with severe damage to a project underway.
John
Have you given thought to cutting in a dutchman from a scrap piece of the same wood with some closely matching grain pattern? Then finish is as you had planned. I've seen some little dutchman jig kits with varying patterns (bow tie, square etc.)you can use with a router but can't remember where right now. Maybe a Rockler catalog or Veritas? Don't remember.