unfinished red oak boards that beer was spilled on ruined?

Page 1 of 2
Red oak boards being used as shelves. Was too wet and cold to sand, stain and poly them so my husband put them up unfinished. Well he spilled his beer on one. Will sanding be enough or will the spot rear its ugly head when I get to stain and poly it in the spring?
On 1/18/2014 11:45 AM, Anonymous wrote:

Try cleaning with oxalic acid before you stain. It will clean the wood and remove anything left.
Paint dept at big box store.
--
Jeff

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:47:16 AM UTC-6, woodchucker wrote:

Do you have personal experience using that method?
You realize of course, that when you bleach out the stain with the acid, it won't discriminate between the stained areas and the unstained areas, righ t? So cleaning the area will lighten that one area on the entire on the en tire project. This will be like using full strength Clorox to treat a spot on a black dress shirt.
The original poster should post more info about size and appearance of the stain, what kind of oak it is, and how the stain has been treated to this p oint before expecting an intelligent answer.
It is important to note that the OP never said there was any kind of stain to treat or deal with. For all we know, the beer was spilled and immediate ly wiped off and you can't even tell where the spill was.
Robert
"Anonymous"
in message

So what - if anything - is the visible result of the beer being spilled? Beer being almost all water I doubt there is much of anything; possibly, a water stain? If that is all, sanding should ne sufficient. Note: do NOT use oxalic acid (or any other bleach).
Why do you want to stain the wood prior to varnishing?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/18/2014 12:11 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Is that not your normal order?

I try to avoid stain preferring to use wood I like au natural rather than trying to make a wood I don't much care for look like something else. The lack of stain also eases any needed repairs should they become necessary in the future.
Of course there are exceptions, one of them being when overall color is important but the wood itself is not. For example, around here, "merlot" is being championed by many furniture retailers. It is the gotta have color. Why anyone wants their bedroom suite et al to look like wine I do not know but strongly suspect it is for much the same reason that granite, volume ceilings,tray ceilings and crown molding are also "gotta haves" :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I have several options to consider.
1. If the board was unfinished can you just turn it over and have the un-spilled side become the good side?
2. If the board wasn't that big could you just make a new one?
3. Why not stain and poly the shelf when you get the time and see how it looks before you panic?
4. You could go Lorena Bobbitt on him so he won't mess up the other shelves.
On 1/18/14, 10:45 AM, Anonymous wrote:

Oh, I hope it wasn't expensive beer. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Wipe *all* of the boards down with beer. Then it won't really matter -- everything will look the same in the end.
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 00:47:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

That's the best idea yet, but you probably just gave Mike a heart attack by suggesting someone use beer in that manor!
On 1/18/2014 10:16 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Well, he could always drink it first...
"Richard" wrote:

-------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------- Pat & Mike had been friends for many years, but it was getting to be time for Mike to cash in his hand and move along.
As Mike was lying on his death bed, his old friend Pat at his side, he asked Mike, "Mike my old friend, is there anything I can do for you?"
Mike said, "Not in this life, but after I'm gone there is a bottle of Irish in me closet. Would you mind sprinkling it on me grave?"
Pat thought for a minute then asked,
"Would you mind if I run it thru my kidneys first?"
Lew
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 00:16:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

You're right. I'll try not to make that mistake again.
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:27:02 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

You can be my brother Mike, and he can be my other brother Mike... or is it Darryl and Darryl?
On 1/18/14, 10:16 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Well, I don't know. We may have accidentally stumbled upon a decent use for Bud lite. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/19/14 10:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I thought the suggestion was to wipe down all boards with _beer_. Using a pale straw colored concoction infused with alcohol probably is a poor substitute for using beer.
-BR
On 1/20/14, 9:23 AM, Brewster wrote:

"a pale straw colored concoction infused with alcohol"
That's the definition of Bud Lite. :-)
--

-MIKE-

or superblonde shellac...
On 1/20/2014 9:02 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

You can kill the taste of Bud Lite if it's ice cold. :~\
jo4hn wrote:

I think that's one of its selling points! Kind of like Nicorette-gum for people who don't want to smoke.