Undercounter Lighting Recommendations?

Page 1 of 2

What do you recommend as the best undercounter light style. All I seem to find are the little hocky puck disks and rope lights. Anything else out there? Thanks. BTW these are going to be for new cabinets so I can build the upper bottoms around the light.
The hockey pucks are actually quite good. They're compact and they can be controlled by a dimmer. The downside is that they're not as efficient as fluorescents.
BruceT

Beware the 120VAC halogen hocky pucks, they blow frequently, at about $3 per bulb. Or at least mine do.
Mike
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:58:10 -0500, "Bruce T"

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:11:39 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike

The bulbs get really hot. If there's any oil from your skin which gets on them, they'll blow quickly. Make sure you wear gloves when handling them and wipe them off before installation, just in case someone else wasn't as thorough, Mike.
--
It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

What could possibly go wrong?
;-)
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:33:22 -0800, Larry Jaques

Yah, I do that, thanks, but they still only last about 2 months, and that's with only 2-3 hours per day usage.
Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:32:14 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike

Chiwanese or 'Murrican bulbs? It can make a difference. Sometimes the price savings isn't enough to recoup for the short lifetimes.
- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed." - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:32:08 -0800, Larry Jaques

Are there still American bulbs? <G>
Barry
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:32:14 -0500, Mike Patterson wrote:

I have a buddy that bought a bunch of white LED's (light emitting diodes) and wired them up for his under cabinet lighting. It turned out great, but I'd guess that fluorescent bulbs are more efficient. I've seen some commercial LED lights recently, but they are expensive.
D. G. Adams

You probably mean undercabinet as undercounter wouldn't be very effective.
I popped some fairly big bucks and went with Kichler xenon bulb fixtures from my local lighting store. Later I saw the Kichlers with halogen bulbs at the local Lowes, but now a year later, when my daughter needs undercabinet lighting, Lowes only has hockey pucks. And we've had previous zero success with hockey pucks.
I love the Kichler xenons. The light is very warm, much like a regular incandescant lamp--not harsh white like the halogens.
I put in one 4-bulb, two 3-bulb, three 2-bulb, and one 1-bulb fixtures. They totalled about $500, installed myself. There are two brightness positions on the switches on the units, and of course I have them all wired to 3-way switches by the doors. There are no transformers or any other special wiring--they run off regular 120V feeds.
They are also quite low profile, so they wouldnt be horrible under a stock cabinet, but my cabinets had a trim molding so they are completely invisible unless you duck your head and look up under the cabinet.
Good luck.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Doh! undercabinet of course not undercounter.

I completely agree with LRd's assessment. Xenon is the way to go, albeit more money. Those hockeypucks are nothing but a PITA... bulbs don't last.
I see a lot of kitchens and the only negative is the initial cost of Xenon.

That's the third or fourth time you've completely agreed with me recently. People aren't going to take you seriously anymore if they find out you think the way I do...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

They already don't, Rodmeister... I'm shaping my future defense: "LRod said so..."
=0)
On 23 Feb 2006 17:45:01 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike in

There are tons of compact fluor fixtures available, Mike, and they're a lot cooler running than xenon pucks.
Google 'bout 10 million hits for "under cabinet light". The first:
http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/Undercab/undercab.html has some swing-down fluor fixtures that look pretty flexible. From $14.40 each!
Also check eBay for lamps. I got some 10w pucks at 1/3 the store prices for a display cabinet on my too-long list of To-Build toys.
--
It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Mike,
About a year ago, I installed new kitchen cabinets and used xenon task lights from National Speciality Lighting. They have been great. They are dimmable, bright and give off much less heat then halogen. They are supposed to have a much greater life than the halogen also. I do not have any relation to National Speciality Lighting or any lighting retailer or wholesaler at all. I am just very happy with.the lights
http://www.nslusa.com/xenontask.html

We used hockey-pucks under cabinet lights in our previous kitchen. Both Halogen and Xenon. 115V and 12V with transformers. We felt these tuna-can style were more for decorative effect than task lighting.
When we remodeled (new everything) our kitchen, we had the GE Premium fluorescent light fixtures installed under the cabinets for task lighting. We had flood light cans put in the ceiling. and the GEs under the cabinets.
We have an interior kitchen; there are no windows in the kitchen itself. There is little natural light available. However, with our lighting scheme using the GE Premium , we found the colors are good, food looks good and there are few, if any shadows. These old eyes really love all the heat-less task lighting.
The GE premium fixtures are available in several thicknesses and lengths at your friendly home improvement centers.
No commercial ties to GE.
Jack Jacksonville, Florida
-- I've learned that an insatiable curiosity is important to never feeling old.
om... | > What do you recommend as the best undercounter light style. All I seem | > to find are the little hocky puck disks and rope lights. Anything else | > out there? Thanks. BTW these are going to be for new cabinets so I | > can build the upper bottoms around the light. | > | |
I installed some halogen units from a customer of mine....
Called "Counter Attack"
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/under-cabinet/view.aspx?family 9870
(These folks are gouging to the max)
They are MUCH less at wholesale Electrical & Plumbing supply houses...
The bulb prices will give you a "heart attack" but that seems to be the problem with this sort of lighting.
Mike in Arkansas wrote:

I found a number of different lighting types, strip and puck types at American Lighting. Just Google the name and check the manufacturer's site. They make fluorescent, halogen and xenon types. The reason I stumbled on them, is because most of my cabinets are of a size 1/2" too small for other manufacturer's strip lights, AL makes them a little shorter and fit into the cabinet bottoms.