"Unbreakable" frosted "glass"

I've built a faux-window for a client; basically a 9-light storm window that will cover an electrical panel. She wants to backlight it (or something along those lines), but she's concerned one of her kids will smash a pane. Any recommendations about what to use that will look "good"? I'm thinking tempered glass, but what about acrylic? It's going to be frosted, but I don't want it to look plasticy. Thanks. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

polycarbonate (Lexan)

Reply to
Max

Tempered glass has to be custom made to the exact size. It can't be cut. It also breaks into a bazillion pieces which is a pain in the ass to clean up. Laminated glass can be cut to size and stays intact when the glass breaks. I've used laminated glass in bathrooms, drawn up a design in Autocad and had a local sign shop cut a vinyl frosted decal that was applied to the glass. Looks like a million bucks and cost less than half that.

Polycarbonate would work, as would acrylic. In your situation either would be okay. Polycarbonate is stronger and more expensive.

RicodJour

Thanks. I'll probably go with Lexan, provided it looks right. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

find a good glass shop. In fact I would go to a couple to get other opinions.

d> I've built a faux-window for a client; basically a 9-light storm window

Reply to
william kossack

Go with acrylic. It can be found in numerous frosted styles and is much more impact resistant than glass. It does not yellow upon exposure to sunlight. Lexan (polycarbonate) will work, but I'm not sure on the availability for frosted choices. Polycarbonate may yellow upon exposure to sunlight which the frosting may this look stronger.

-S

Reply to
SimonLW

Lexan would work, but it sure is pricey. Several years ago it was over $180 a sheet. It is virtually indestructible by hammer or any other physical blow, but scratches super easy.

I think you will come out better and be well pleased with laminated safety glass from your local glass shop. Tempered glass will not work for your needs. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

Well - he said it was going to be frosted, so scratching won't be an issue.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I suggest that an ugly scratch will show right in/through an even textured frosting job, remember they are planning to back light the unit. I suppose it matters most on the extent and method used to frost the lites. A bit like saying that it's a brushed chrome finish, so who cares if it's scratched. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG