Un-necessary conmplication?

PosiDrive screws were designed for automatic-feed screwdriving robots. You can tell them from a Philips by noticing that there are small lines eminating from the centre of the screw-head at a 45 degree angle from the main slots. Robertson screws don't work in automated-feed machines because the driver-bit can (at 45 degrees where the bit refuses to enter the hole) jam the machine. McFeely makes great screws...good steel and they stick to the driver nicely. The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to Celine Dion.

0¿0 ?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

My old Marantz 8-track tape player is hooked up to my stereo system and plays my old Johnny Cash 8-tracks just as good as the day I bought it.

Reply to
bob

And Gordon Lightfoot.

And Anne Murray.

In one continuous sitting.

Seriously though, the guy who invented the slotted screw was a genius considering the alternative of the day. It's the guys who continue to make them/force them on us, they should be the ones forced to listen to Celine, Gordon, Anne and (insert your fingers on a chalkboard celebrity singer here).

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Me too !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

She would make me want to bang my head against a spinning table saw blade. How anyone can listen to her and not kill themselves is beyond me.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Looks enough like a Phillips to confuse the unwary, but doesn't fit a Phillips bit very well at all. Works excellent with the right bits, though.

We call that "square drive screws" here, the only people I've ever seen call it the Robertson are Canadians (he was Canadian, I'd guess).

Nope, it's an entirely different kind of screw, altogether.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reed & Prince maybe?

Dave "Why on earth do I know this stuff?" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yup, although that one tends to be awfully emotionally charged, and people with the inferior technology (Windows) usually don't know enough about the better one (Macs) to know any better. With screws that are obviously hard to use, vs. screws that don't suck at all, it's easier to be objective.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Dave Hinz" wrote

It is also much easier to be objective if you are the screwor as opposed to the screwee. :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Cher.

It's kinda funny, actually. I haven't used any of those Roberson screws, so maybe, just maybe, they're actually different. I hate Phillips and Allen screws because they strip out too easily, and you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out. Torx screws are a little better, but still, sometimes you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out. Personally, therefore, I prefer slotted screws for many applications. Like any application where I might have to remove the screw some day. Or lag screws, even better, if I can use them.

Cher, Cher, Cher.

Reply to
Silvan

They really are. I used them for my deck (stainless in - gasp - composite deck boards), and the worked _very_ well.

Wow. If you're screwing up Torx screws, you might be using one size too small of a bit. It'll fit, but it'll strip much easier. I don't think you _can_ strip a Torx screw with the right size bit.

What's that guy...Neville something, big honking mole on his face, and the vocal equivalent of "Kenny G"?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips."

One man's "bad" is another's "good". The popularity of the phillips head screw is their use in drywall. Try shooting those screws that don't cam out into some rock and see what happens to your efficiency.

ray

Reply to
Ray_Manor

If you ever need to remove the screw, the Robertson (square-drive) head is

*far* easier to use than a slot.

Yabbut... they're not very aesthetically pleasing. :-)

Doug Miller

My drywall gun doesn't rely on cam-out, it has a slip clutch. I'd be surprised if that wasn't universal? Cam-out would leave a (sharp!) bur in a drywall screw, which isn't what you're after. Makes mudding more of a pain in the ass than it already is. DAMHIKT.

Dave "I'll never tape and mud drywall again. And this time I mean it." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Aaron Neville, one of the old Neville Brothers.

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

There's more than one? That's not good.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

here's a very short history of the Robertson screw:

here's the company's website:
even thought to colour-code the screwdrivers to make the hole sizes easier to remember. "Hey, throw me a red Robertson, willya?"

You can blame Henry Ford's greed and P. L. Robertson's stubbornness if you regret the non-availability in the U.S. even today.

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

Cher's Fair Well Tour.

The best four words ever spoken/written.

Now, let's see if it sticks.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Of Ford's greed, there's little doubt, but I've been buying Robertson hardware for more than a decade in normal retail hardware outlets. The non-availability of which you speak doesn't exist.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Another subject we agree on :-).

Reply to