Un-necessary conmplication?

Page 2 of 4

Dang. This is getting scary. But you know, when there are people good at it, willing to work for...reasonable terms... (as in, I'll clean all the viruses and spyware off your Windows box if you tape and mud this room for me terms), it's just not gonna be me doing it. 'hate' is too gentle of a word.
Dave

Done a lot of it. I find it one of the most enjoyable of all construction phases. Different strokes, huh?
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:14:43 -0800, Tim Douglass wrote:

You ARE weird!
--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

I always loved going into a house to start a drywall job. You would look around and it would be all studs with wiring and plumbing showing. In just a couple of days it would go to being rooms, with real walls. Then the taping would take it to the next level, where the walls looked *finished*. There is an intense satisfaction in it for me. Much like getting a good finish on a woodworking project. You can walk out feeling like you've actually made something.
Oh, incidentally, many people have accused me of being weird, but not usually in that context.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Sorry FoggyT - you're on your own there. I'm a McFeely's Convert.
You mean Robertson screws I think. LOL
patrick conroy wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net
Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi screw"? We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not exist in the US. I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that what you are referring to?
Richard Shelson
foggytown wrote:

Dorothy and Richard Shelson wrote:

Pozidrive is another variation of a cross-slot head somewhat similar to a Phillips..
A Robertson certainly can be obtained in the US altho the "square-head" moniker is more common. There can be a slight difference in cam angle of various variations.
Thanks Duane. That helps.
Richard
Duane Bozarth wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:17:02 GMT, Dorothy and Richard Shelson

nope. robertson (square drive) is available in the US. it's not even all that uncommon. pozi-drive is a system that looks almost just exactly like a phillips, but it isn't compatible. it was designed to *not* cam out when the screw seats, unlike phillips, which was designed *to* cam out when the screw seats....
You were told wrong.
We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not

Looks enough like a Phillips to confuse the unwary, but doesn't fit a Phillips bit very well at all. Works excellent with the right bits, though.

We call that "square drive screws" here, the only people I've ever seen call it the Robertson are Canadians (he was Canadian, I'd guess).

Nope, it's an entirely different kind of screw, altogether.

Robertson _invented_ em. Robertson is a *brand* name. Robertson gets _really_ upset if somebody refers to "Robertson Screws" that are not *manufactured* by Robertson. Robertson _is_ a Canadian Company.
Hence 'similar' screws by other manufacturers are called "something else".
You can get genuine Robertsons in the U.S., if you look in the right places, but they are significantly more expensive than "something else". :)
I read that the USA screws are different design, tapered square recess I think, and are identified as "square" drive. Bondhus makes a ball end screwdriver for each of the four sizes color coded handles for size identification. Similar to the ball end allen drivers they make. Drive either 15 or 25 of axis, handy in tight quarters.
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:06:57 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

PosiDrive screws were designed for automatic-feed screwdriving robots. You can tell them from a Philips by noticing that there are small lines eminating from the centre of the screw-head at a 45 degree angle from the main slots. Robertson screws don't work in automated-feed machines because the driver-bit can (at 45 degrees where the bit refuses to enter the hole) jam the machine. McFeely makes great screws...good steel and they stick to the driver nicely. The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to Celine Dion.
00
Rob
Robatoy wrote:

And Gordon Lightfoot.
And Anne Murray.
In one continuous sitting.
Seriously though, the guy who invented the slotted screw was a genius considering the alternative of the day. It's the guys who continue to make them/force them on us, they should be the ones forced to listen to Celine, Gordon, Anne and (insert your fingers on a chalkboard celebrity singer here).
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

She would make me want to bang my head against a spinning table saw blade. How anyone can listen to her and not kill themselves is beyond me.
Barry
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Cher.

It's kinda funny, actually. I haven't used any of those Roberson screws, so maybe, just maybe, they're actually different. I hate Phillips and Allen screws because they strip out too easily, and you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out. Torx screws are a little better, but still, sometimes you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out. Personally, therefore, I prefer slotted screws for many applications. Like any application where I might have to remove the screw some day. Or lag screws, even better, if I can use them.

Cher, Cher, Cher.

They really are. I used them for my deck (stainless in - gasp - composite deck boards), and the worked _very_ well.

Wow. If you're screwing up Torx screws, you might be using one size too small of a bit. It'll fit, but it'll strip much easier. I don't think you _can_ strip a Torx screw with the right size bit.

What's that guy...Neville something, big honking mole on his face, and the vocal equivalent of "Kenny G"?