Un-necessary conmplication?

Page 1 of 4
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.
FoggyTown
I beg to differ. I'll take a Posi over a Phillips any day of the week.
Dave
foggytown wrote:

The Posi-drive screw was originally designed for automated use at GM assembly plants. It is far better than Phillips.
Dave

I think we are in agreement. :)
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

Because for some unbeknownst reason, not everyone has abandoned philips for square drive yet?

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.
Dave Hinz
I'll second that! Mac is far better than Windows.

Yes, that's another good example. Windows is very popular, but then again, many people get the common cold...

There are more cockroaches than people on this planet. Superior numbers do not denote a higher life-form.

"Dave Hinz" wrote:

Hence the popularity of microsoft windows.
--
San Diego Joe

And Phillips was itself an improvement on Reed, which had skinny slots and screwdriver bits that broke.
That would be "Reed & Prince".
Dave
Andy Dingley wrote:

Reed & Prince maybe?
Dave "Why on earth do I know this stuff?" Hinz

Macs and Window boxes.

Yup, although that one tends to be awfully emotionally charged, and people with the inferior technology (Windows) usually don't know enough about the better one (Macs) to know any better. With screws that are obviously hard to use, vs. screws that don't suck at all, it's easier to be objective.
Dave Hinz

It is also much easier to be objective if you are the screwor as opposed to the screwee. :)
Dave Hinz wrote:

"Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips."
One man's "bad" is another's "good". The popularity of the phillips head screw is their use in drywall. Try shooting those screws that don't cam out into some rock and see what happens to your efficiency.
ray

My drywall gun doesn't rely on cam-out, it has a slip clutch. I'd be surprised if that wasn't universal? Cam-out would leave a (sharp!) bur in a drywall screw, which isn't what you're after. Makes mudding more of a pain in the ass than it already is. DAMHIKT.
Dave "I'll never tape and mud drywall again. And this time I mean it." Hinz
says...

Another subject we agree on :-).