Un-necessary conmplication?

Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I beg to differ. I'll take a Posi over a Phillips any day of the week.

Dave

foggytown wrote:

Reply to
David

Because for some unbeknownst reason, not everyone has abandoned philips for square drive yet?

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'll second that! Mac is far better than Windows.

Reply to
Ray

The Posi-drive screw was originally designed for automated use at GM assembly plants. It is far better than Phillips.

Dave

Teamcasa

Yes, that's another good example. Windows is very popular, but then again, many people get the common cold...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think we are in agreement. :)

Dave

Teamcasa wrote:

Reply to
David

Hence the popularity of microsoft windows.

Reply to
San Diego Joe

Sorry FoggyT - you're on your own there. I'm a McFeely's Convert.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi screw"? We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not exist in the US. I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that what you are referring to?

Richard Shels> Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good

Reply to
Dorothy and Richard Shelson

Pozidrive is another variation of a cross-slot head somewhat similar to a Phillips..

A Robertson certainly can be obtained in the US altho the "square-head" moniker is more common. There can be a slight difference in cam angle of various variations.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

You mean Robertson screws I think. LOL

patrick c>>annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned

Reply to
Will

And Phillips was itself an improvement on Reed, which had skinny slots and screwdriver bits that broke.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That would be "Reed & Prince".

Dave

Andy D> It was somewhere outside Barstow when Dave H>

Reply to
David

nope. robertson (square drive) is available in the US. it's not even all that uncommon. pozi-drive is a system that looks almost just exactly like a phillips, but it isn't compatible. it was designed to

*not* cam out when the screw seats, unlike phillips, which was designed *to* cam out when the screw seats....
Reply to
bridger

explanations for different screw types under Connector Techology.

are used extensively for automotive interiors, look closely next time you get in your car.

Reply to
Ray V

You were told wrong.

Reply to
CW

Macs and Window boxes.

Reply to
Robatoy

There are more cockroaches than people on this planet. Superior numbers do not denote a higher life-form.

Reply to
Robatoy