Ultimate Earmuffs - no love yet

I asked probably 30 different people at the IWF if they'd seen a headset that can kill noise, yet allow normal conversation to be heard, as well as provide for a high level of automation using voice recognition technology. No one seems to have it.

Any of you grease monkeys out there know if the automotive folks are using something like this? It's gotta exist out there....

JP

************************* I'm just not that smart.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Jay Pique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking for. There are lots of noise cancelling headsets available, and many of them have microphones in order to allow people to communicate. Here's an example:

However, where does voice recognition software come into this? It's not as if the headsets need to recognize any voice commands.

Reply to
Old Fangled

I don't care for that term. I don't know a monkey that can rebuild a carburetor.

Oops. Wrong newsgroup. Should be alt.tv.seinfeld

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Jay, you are looking for ANR (active noise reduction). Started out in the aviation area.

Reply to
Greg Millen

I should have added that if you want a mic to use for voice recognition in a high noise environment, you probably should look for a jawbone pickup or throat mic (if you can find it).

Greg

> Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Try these...

Dave jackson

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:23:33 GMT, "Dave jackson" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I wish they said how ell it works....

Reply to
Old Nick

You are, of course, right. My apologies to the mechanics.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thanks much for the link above - it's the closest thing I've seen to what I'm envisioning. There was an older thread called The Ultimate Earmuffs a while back -

- that got into more detail about functionality.

Basically I'd like the headset shown in your link, that has the ability to tie into and control a pc via voice recognition. For example, if the phone rang (and it would make a tone in my headset when it did) I would simply say "Answer phone" and I would be connected to the caller. If I chose not to answer I could say "Send to voicemail" or something.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

If, given enough time, they can write the complete works of Shakespeare, a mere carburetor should _not_ be much of a challenge.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Theoretically it is a standard hearing protector with a microphone and speakers in each earmuff which shuts off at 85 db leaving just the hearing protector.

Mine works poorly, failing to shut off a lot of the time. At low dB it lets you hear conversation or the radio, but sounds extremely cheap and tinny. Got mine as a gift and will sell it cheap.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Jay Pique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That capability is already "built in", at least in a basic sense. Just feed the headset microphone/audio leads into your PC's sound card. From there, you need to buy a good voice recognition package to run on your PC.

This is also software/hardware for your PC, and doesn't have anything to do with the headset -- that is just the I/O device. PC software to do this sort of thing is available from multiple companies. Try this company's products for a start:

Old Fangled

The voice recognition is really something that has to happen on the PC side. looks interesting but haven't tried it. You _might_ be able to use it with one of the Olympia Bluetooth phones that lets you use just about any Bluetooth headset. Many Bluetooth headsets have noise cancelling microphones and some are small enough that you could use them in conjunction with a set of electronic noise-cancelling earmuffs, but you'd have to find one with the controls located where the could be reached with the muffs or or take one apart and wire in some switches.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Frank Ketchum

In the off chance that this slipped over everyone's heads, my line was a quote from a Seinfeld episode. That was why I made mention of alt.tv.seinfeld, a group which I also frequent.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:44:19 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Nah! Shaksper _never_ did his own mechanical work!

***************************************************** the snappy ones are the best
Reply to
Old Nick

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:51:38 -0500, Gerald Ross vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yeah, that's fine. But how good is the passive hearing protection?

My hearing is _extremely dear_ to me (now that it's a bit too late :-< )

***************************************************** the snappy ones are the best
Reply to
Old Nick

There have been web monkeys pounding away at Usenet for about 20 years. No Shakespeare yet.

Reply to
Anonymous

Not as good noise attenuation as with my old cheap WalMart earmuff protectors. Plus at times I had to reach up and turn off the microphone to get that. Plus with the batteries it is heavier.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:08:17 -0500, Gerald Ross vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

remove ns from my header address to reply via email OK. Thanks. I will stick my good oold "32dB" serious set for now, or cough up for a $200 flier's rig.

Reply to
Old Nick