Ulmo hardwood (from Africa)

I bought some wood today. I had not heard of it before I saw it at the wood show in Cloverdale, B.C., near Vancouver, last week. The samples I saw looked wonderful and at $2.98 CDN I think this just might be a gloat! Has anyone any experience with this material or able to give me any input as to its workability? I especially liked the look of the material with a cognac colour stain.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

Brian asks:

AKA gnulgu, muermo and roble de Chile (Eucryphia cordifolia), this wood is from SA, specifically Argentina and Chile, not Africa.

Saws and planes nicely, according to reports, finishes very well and glues well. Near its source, it's used for flooring, light structural material, veneer, furniture, turnery. Moderately strong, hard, density of 0.48. Also said to be medium highin price, so I'd say you did fine.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey Brian, where did you get it?

Reply to
Nut Tree

Hi "Nut";

I bought from AMG Limited, North Vancouver, phone 604-202-3601 or Fax

604-980-3772. I dealt with the President, Boris Weiss. This is a SMALL operation. He stores his stock in his residential garage. He also has Coigue, Roble, Tineo, Russian Larch, Pines, Oaks and Birch (according to his business card). I also bought a little Spanish oak at the same price. He charges slightly more for lengths exceeding 6 feet. Most of the stock I saw was pretty straight, relatively free of checks and diagonal end grain (as opposed to arched). I bought 1x4, 2x4, 2x6, and 1x6 rough-sawn.
Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC