UL Approval

Page 2 of 2
I speak from my perspective. I don't work for UL.
UL listing essentially means that the item listed is safe for it's intended use. UL, as others have noted, doesn't approve anything. In my employers case, all the stuff we have is put on our listing. It's UL listed. I must further note that the amount of testing our products endure is considerably less that starting from scratch since most of the componentry is UL recognized. Switches, wires, the plastics inside, transformers and so on. The manufacturer of each item has already done their part of the UL testing process. I shudder to think of the rigorous testing one my designs would endure were I to need to test each and every component exhaustively. The listing process is made considerably easier by the plastic having a yellow card. By the switch itself being recognized. And so on.
What my design has to do is be safe (won't cause harm) to the user. UL is not concerned if my device actually does the function I intend it to do. Just be safe. That's it.
Again, I urge the OP to contact UL directly to determine what would actually have to happen if he really want's to get his project listed. IMHO it may not be worth the effort for a few hundred units. But what do I know? I'm not in the OPs business.
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:21:25 GMT, patriarch

|I have a problem that's come up at work. | |We are being asked to build a custom display light that uses off the |shelf electrical components that will be enclosed by a melamine box. | |The customer wants the unit to have a UL approval sticker on it (This |product meets the UL962 standard for household and commercial |furnishings). | |We'd be making several hundred of these and I have no clue of how to |estimate the time or cost of getting the UL approval. | |Any of you guys have experience with this sort of thing?
As several others have stated, this is a real can of worms. Too many worms to corral for only a few hundred piece parts.
That said, don't be bamboozled by UL into thinking that UL is the only Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). There are other certified labs; see:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl /
Wes

True, there are others. But UL is the most widely recognized of them. I say recognized in the sense of average Joe looking at the label.
Tom Watson wrote:

Keep in mind that when most people see a UL sticker on the cord they think the whole unit is approved rather than only the cord to which it is attached. Perhaps you too can get away with buying a bunch of UL approved cords.

I don't think I'd want to defend myself in court if I'd used such a deception if a product failed resulting in personal injury or property damage.

I don't post here much, but read a lot. What Edwin P. has been saying is dead on straight. Unless you plan on marketing the "assembly" for mass production, pass on getting the special unit UL listed. I deal with it a lot as well and I wouldn't even agree to consider listing the assembly.
Just my 2 cents
Allyn Vaughn
The only practical way to get UL approval is to hire one of the consultants who "knows his way around UL." Pay the price and he'll deliver the approval. If you try to do it by the book yourself I bet you'll still be looking for help a few years from now.
I've come to feel that UL is another one of the guild like obstacles in the way of business. It does not provide assurance that the purchased product is safe.
RB
Tom Watson wrote:

One might find more information here :
http://www.ul.com /
Seems at a quick glance that unless there is a new process or material involved, their testing is to compare a manufactured item to standards already established for similar items along with the materials and other listed manufactured items used in its construction. Researching it for safe combinations and stability for its intended use. A rejection would mean choosing other material/s or modified design or a simple warning label and resubmitting. Also they reserve the right to do periodic paid for visits to the manufacture to insure consistency to the original item listed. I feel that this is more for items that require complicated production control like special tolerances, x-rays etc. or special bonding procedures and the like. Your item might only require an occasional sample of current production. Perhaps the cost might not be as prohibitive as expressed here. You can phone, write or email inquiries to them. At least that part seems to be free.
The originator of this product is looking to reduce his liability insurance premiums. Have you noticed the cost of ladders. Additionally the warning and approval labels on them ? D--n Lawyers !
I would be interested as to what you find and decide.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
Tom Watson wrote:

Try asking in sci.engr.electrical.compliance.
Steve

Tom -
Contact your local Hydro authority - they may have the ability to inspect (and approve) small run custom devices. They then put an approval sticker on whatever it is... cost could be $5-10 per sticker...
Sort of like having the electrical inspector approve your home wiring...
Cheers -
Rob
Buy a power cord with a UL sticker on it, connect to unit.....job done and customer happy. DAVe