Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting

Page 2 of 3

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:16:52 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Ah-Ha! You haven't seen the ones All-Glass sells. They're 10 watt, 6500K, and two U-shaped tubes like some of the compact fluorescents. I've got two of them on my 10 gallon jungle. They put out a lot less heat than the incandescents they replaced.
The All-Glass incandescent hood had no vents for some strange reason, even though their 5.5 gallon hood did. So I drilled a few holes in the top for ventilation.
BTW, the All-Glass bulbs go for around $7.95. The same bulb is available in the fish department of Walmart for, IIRC, $4.95.
Larry Blanchard said:

Actually, no, I haven't seen them. I don't shop at Wal-Mart if I can help it. But I will look for them in the future. Glad to know the market is finally adapting. Thanks for the heads up. I though you were talking about the common replacement bulbs.

Always a good thing. Operating temperature has an effect on tube longevity. So much so that apertured reflectors are used in some commercial fixtures - for those who can afford them. <!?>

Last time I was in a Wal-Mart Super Center around here, they had about 1 side of a small 15 foot aisle dedicated to fish stuff - not much to speak of. Don't tell me, you on the West Coast. <sigh>
Greg G.

Damn, You guys giving away plants are always in the US. Phyto certificates and all that.

I just bought a 72W fixture (2x36) for my 10 gallon, as the 2x13 wasn't doing it. I really wanted something around 50W, but there weren't any good options. Besides, I already had the 36W bulbs from a previous upgrade. I was only planning on running the second bulb for a few hours. But your experience has me thinking this will be too much for the Otos, even on a part time basis.

Bill Stock said:

Let's see - you're in/near Mississauga, ON, Canada? I don't know what the Canadian's require to import plant material, but it could be sent as a "gift" to avoid 'some' border scrutiny. Or maybe not... <g> I'd hate to have the Mounties show up at my door.
Generally, within the US, only states with temperate climates have restrictions on shipping aquarium plant material. CA, FL,TX, etc. I don't think you guys in the Great White North qualify as temperate. LMAO...

I assume you're talking Compact Fluorescent's - very bright and pretty pricey... As for the 2x13 CF, were the lamps of a proper spectrum? Is your Fertilization Regime/Traces correct? There are so many variables it would be hard to place a finger on any one component, but 72W of CF sounds like a whole LOT 'o-light on a 10G. <g>
FWIW,
Greg G.
Larry Blanchard said:

Thanks. It was a hard road to this point. I bought a plant at PetSmart years ago that had a peculiar type of thread algae on it. It took over the tank and everything in it. It took over our pond. It had the most horrific odor - I mean it staaaannnkkk. No amount of 'proper fertilization' or algae eaters would clear it. Finally got sick of it and bleached the whole mess - plants and all. Set it back up with the bleached plants and gravel, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. The normal algae are kept in check by tight control of nutrients. I mix my own NKP and trace fertilizers.
And of course, built the stands and hoods. [OnTopic] <g>
Greg G.
Be aware though that Plecos get large. I had one in a 20 gallon tank. When he reached a foot long, I bought a 110 gallon tank and transferred him to that. They can get up to 18 inches. If you have the room, they are the best algae eaters. Since he was small (2.5 inches), he kept the 20 gallon tank spotless. Now that he is in the 110 gallon, he does the same there in addition to being fed daily. He is 2.5 years old now. They tell me that he can live 20 years.

CW said:

Yes, I am unfortunately aware of this. This particular species, _supposedly_ gets no larger than 12". They were about 1.5" when I got them - one in each tank - and they are now about 4" long. Wait... 5"... No, maybe 6"...
Still, it takes them a while to get that big, but their personality is interesting and worth the effort. What to do when they're 12" long? Eat 'em. <g>

And now you've gone and done it - yours are doomed... <g>
Greg G.
Most pet shops around here, knowing that plecos get to large for most tanks, will take them on trade in. Bring in your big one and get a little one for it. They use the big ones as breeders. This, to me, is like trading in one of my cats. Not going to happen but people do it.

My daughter's 10 gallon tank has a Bushy Nose Pleco that will supposedly stay pretty small - relatively speaking:
<http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/scavengers/plecostomus.htm

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

We had one that ran out of algae, so he started eating regular food, upside down!
He would do the backstroke and eat, while my wife stroked his belly!
The barb ate him, too. 8^(
Barry
The platys will take hard, even brachish water. Get yourself a freshwater puffer fish and your pond snail problem will be taken care of instanter.
Dave Balderstone said:

Many species of loaches eat snails as well. My grey worm loach keeps the numbers down considerably. I actually _put_ snails into my tanks, but not the common, plant eating, pond snail variety.
FWIW,
Greg G.
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:05:05 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Are you sure this isn't the aquarium newsgroup? <grin>
Yep, I bought some clown loaches which, like the suggested pleco, will outgrow my tanks eventually. The biggest I'll ever have room for is an 18"x36", which is either a 50 or a 55, I forget.
And I plan on putting both Maylasian trumpet snails and blackworms into my tanks a month or so before the fish.
And for he who mentioned algae, a lot of healthy plants will outcompete the algae.
Larry Blanchard said:

It's been the political, phishing, troll newsgroup, so what the hey...

The kuhlii loaches stay much smaller, and are pretty interesting. They mass up in groups, being social, and do a number on small snails. (If you like squirmy fish that look like eels...)
I've found it hard to find interesting fish these days. All the independents have gone out of business, and the Chain's carry nothing but the same-old-crap. When I was a kid, there was a really cool store in Lindburg that carried an unbelievable variety of stock.
But the city got 100 times bigger, and the selection got 100 times smaller. Go figure - it's the same with restaurants and just about everything else. The BORGs are consuming everything non-mainstream.
Greg G.
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:27:54 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

We've still got at least 3 here in Spokane. One specializes in saltwater fish, so I don't go there. Another has a good selection of plants, but is highly opinionated, so I go there only when necessary.
The third usually has a good selection of freshwater fish, and sometimes live blackworms, but no live plants. They got in a new shipment for the big shopping weekend and I went down to see them. I bought some panda cories, but the interesting thing was a tank with 3 bichers in it.
I'd read about them but never seen them before. Supposedly they've been around since the Jurassic. Pectoral fins that look like fingers, protruding nostrils, lungs, and some really strange spiky fins on an eel-shaped body. Altogether a very ugly fish, but I wish I had room for one :-).
Larry Blanchard said:

Ooohh - I love reef tanks. My pocketbook hates them, however...
http://www.thevideodoc.com/preefs1.htm
http://www.thevideodoc.com/preefs5.htm

Alas, we have NO worthy independent dealers left in Atlanta, GA. Just PetSmart, and PetSupermarket. The help wouldn't know a brine shrimp from a rock of crack cocaine. One shop in downtown Buckhead <yuppie-land> has a few interesting things, but the prices will scareyou out of your skin.
The smaller cities in Florida still had good dealers, but I don't live there anymore. Reef stuff, in particular, was considerably cheaper.

I've not seen them before, but there are all kinds of neato, creepy-crawly things in the oceans, lakes, rivers of the world. But if we continue to steward our world as we have in the past, the only remaining examples of much of this stuff will be in captivity. :-\
Heck, I'm worried that we're going to run out of affordable wood before I'm done...
FWIW,
Greg G.

I feel the need to toot our one local (and only) pet shop's horn. For a town of 19,500, it's quite unusual - hell, sounds like for a town the size of Atlanta, it'd be quite unusual.
Critter Cabana: <http://www.crittercabana.com/
Now, I don't know if their fish are unusual or not (salt and fresh) but they get some of the strangest 4-legged animals: walleroos; two-toed sloth; banded armadillo; and an African fox (can't recall the name at the moment). They've also got quite a cross section of the cold-blooded sort -- yech.
They've been in business for a couple years now, so maybe it's going to go for awhile.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Oh, you are so right.
I was a kid in Winnipeg when I got into the hobby (I'm 46 now) and there was a guy who sold out of his basement... all the rare fish you read about in the mags. Annual killies, bettas that weren't splendens, I could go on and on.
The main shop brought in live brine shrimp from San Fransisco Bay every Tuesday. Live tubifex worms, daphnia... They had a breeding pair of oscars that were 12" in a 250 gallon tank at the back of the shop and every oscar you bought from them were from that pair.
I'd love to get some of the Aphyosemion species I used to raise... <http://web.telia.com/~u31510320/Killigallery.html
I remember breaking down a 5 gal tank that I had a pair in after they died. Set it up about 18 months later and in two days had a tank full of fry... The eggs were surviving the dry season in the sand.
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Dave Balderstone said:

I kept breeding pairs of Egyptian Mouthbreeders, Kribensis, miniature seahorses, etc. as a kid (I've got two years on you) and though that all this globalization would enhance the hobby. Not from what I see. I recently tried to find a pair of mouthbreeders, but had no luck. Haplochromis multicolor - oh, wait, they've renamed 'em again. Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor. Could be due to this accident... http://www.petting-zoo.net/~deadbeef/archive/106.html

Had a guy here that bred Cichlasoma meeki as well as Oscars. Splashing and wrestling, jaw to jaw, and occationally one would flop out onto the floor. They would really go at it - and then they would care for the fry like gentle little liberals. <g>

Yeah, they're really cool like that. Like artema - or sea monkeys - they burst forth from a mistakenly barren void. http://www.hellskitchen.org/gdt/archives/volume10/4/monkeys.shtml
I remember first reading about killifish in an old Axelrod rag. It was a treat when they included an actual color photograph... <g>
Greg G.
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:14:09 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I had one of those, too. It grew that big because it ate all the other fish. <G>
Barry