UH is signing off news as of Dec 31,007

rec.woodworking has been a valuable resource to me over the years. Regretably the University of Hawaii administrators decided to end their support of the news service.
I'll try find another way to get back to rec.woodworking in the mean time, keep on building with wood.
    William J. King, PhD, MPH     University of Hawaii--Manoa      snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.edu ( e-mail )     Actually: 21 degrees 17 minutes 56.2653 seconds North 157 degrees 48 minutes 57.8565 seconds West

You could get in via
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/topics
Alternatively, dags "free usenet" and you'll get hits on places you can get free Usenet access, e.g., http://www.usenet.com/articles/usenet_free.htm has links and info.
John
William J King wrote:

Not free, but good service. <www.supernews.com>
Access to all newsgroups and binaries. They do a pretty good job of filtering most of the spam

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Sorry about following up to my own comment, just wanted to add that I went through the same thing when DirecPC (my former ISP) decided to drop newsgroups because "nobody was using them" so they could offer more services with that bandwidth. They never did add anything I could tell.

snipped-for-privacy@Hawaii.Edu (William J King) wrote in ( e-mail )

I use Verizon's news server since I have Verizon Fios. The newsserver (IMO) is pretty good, certainly for text, and even for abpw. There are many complaints about incompletes for some binary groups, but I have no problems for what I do.
Hawaii used to have verizon. Don't know what you have now. I am in NJ. Giganews is nuch faster than verizon, and you can get a 30-day free trial.
--
Best regards
Han

Yeah, but he'd have to actually pay for it. Most schools provide internet for free to staff. (your tax dollars at work)

Um... poor baby? Cry me a fricking river?
On 31 Oct 2007 00:50:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Hawaii.Edu (William J King) wrote:
If you don't mind paying $3 a month, I'm very happy with APN: http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
newsguy.com. ~$45/yr.
Renata
On 31 Oct 2007 00:50:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Hawaii.Edu (William J King) wrote:

On 31 Oct 2007 00:50:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Hawaii.Edu (William J King) wrote:

Hi Bill,
I suffered the same fate a while back.
I searched around and found teranews.
http://www.teranews.com /
You have to register which is a one time fee of $5 to keep the rip raf to a minimum and then you have free access. You are limited to 5 mb of downloads per day with the free account, which should be good for any text based usenet group. If you want to do significant binary downloading then teranews is not for you.
Good luck

Chris Dubea wrote:

While the price for teranews is right, people have had mixed results. When I used it after my ISP discontinued news service, teranews service was spotty at best. Both the text news groups and binaries services were on-again/off-again in terms of available. I initially attributed this to the free service and tried the paid service -- same result.
My second survey of providers pointed to both GigaNews and Supernews as highly reliable providers. I chose Supernews, others have recommended Giganews -- you probably won't go wrong with either of them.